Strand 500 series 3 VGA'S

tij5987

Hi there,

recent large scale uk tour (don't know if I can say the show name on here???) that we recieved at my home venue a few weeks back, had a Strand 520i with a rack containing nodes, 510 backup etc. What interested me, and I totally forgot to ask the 'prody' lx, was how they managed to have three vga monitors showing the following:

Monitor 1 - Live Channel Display

Monitor 2 - Cue Stack

nothing unusual there, but:

Monitor 3 - Group Screen (showing all the groups)

This was especially useful in this show as they had to update all their focus/reference groups live on the opeining night as they didnt have enough time to do such prior to the show (tight one day get in and open same night jobby!)

I was just wondering how this was achieved - my understanding is that adding more monitors and setting the options to '3monitors' would just display more channel data? So is this something you can with a node or using the output on the 510 perhaps - setting an output on that to show group screen?

Maybe I am being a bit thick, but when you never really get to play with this stuff hands on in a busy recieveing house, curiosity often gets the better of you.

My venue does have a 530i and 510 backup but the backup is sitting somewhere aquiring dust - why???? I wish I knew! Desk rarely gets used for anything other than am dram anyway so never get chance to push it.

Any sugestions appreciated as always,

T.

The only start I can think of to this problem is a PCI slot graphics card in the pc motherboard inside...

(thus gaining the 3rd output)

as for programming it into the strand OS, I dont have enough knowledge of the workings of these desks to comment.

Strand do a "Dual VGA Card" for the 500 series, which gives you another two VGA outs. List price is/was around the £550 mark. You could also set the console to generate more screens than it has VGA outs, then use a video node (SN100-102) to display those screens. However, you're correct in that this only expands the channel list, and I'm unaware of any way to make it show otherwise.

Given your touring LX had a 510i backup, the 3rd monitor was probably the output from this, and he'd simply set it to display groups. Although the backup console tracks the show data, it's still independantly controlable as far as whats on the screens goes..

edit: read the post before replying!

Hi

I work for a large touring Opera company.

We have a 520i and a 510i also two network nodes. All have monitors.

You are right when you say the extra screens only show channel data. I would think that the third screen was the screen for the back up and the units were not in sync.

When the 520 and 510 are in sync the 510 screen shows the same as the 520.

Baz :)

Yeah... as far as LIVE goes, but you can still switch to display groups/fx/whatever if you want, and leave the main console unaffected.. Or is that not what you meant baz?

Cheers all,

thought that would explain it. Our 530i does have the additional monitor ports so no probs there but deffo just showS more channel data. Will prob push for them to dig out the 510i so I can have a play - can see this coming in useful from time to time.

Much appreciated as always.

TJ

Yeah... as far as LIVE goes, but you can still switch to display groups/fx/whatever if you want, and leave the main console unaffected.. Or is that not what you meant baz?

HI JMC

When in sync. Whatever display you go to on either console the other screens change to follow it.

If you are in sync then change the 510I to the group screen the 520I follows it and displays the group screen.

Do you have a different experiance?

Baz :)

If you are in sync then change the 510I to the group screen the 520I follows it and displays the group screen.

Do you have a different experiance?

Baz :o

You're absolutely correct baz.. I'm so used to working on remote consoles :)

Archived