Networking With Shure

Dan (now in stereo)

I'm not really really a networking wiz, so this concept baffles me slightly. These Shure UR4D Wireless Receivers (the dual channel ones :) ) have the capability to be partially controlled by computer via little RJ45 inserts on the back. Now I can understand one coming out the back and going straight into a computer fine. But how would you 'mix down' say 10 signals into one, the send it one back and split it into 10?

Look at Page 12 in the Manual (Networking Transceivers). Basically, it runs over ethernet. So connecting multiple transceivers is the same as networking several PC's. Buy an ethernet switch (Cost:Very little) and plug them all in. You can either plug your PC into the same network, or you can connect to one of the transceivers using USB and all the transceivers using ethernet. It is not a case of mixing signals - a PC can only send one command at a time, and that command is basically the same as sending a letter - you put the address of the receiver it is intended for on the packet. Of course it is a lot more complex than that, but that's the basics.

Basic answer - you don't do it that way.

The network connection is simply a control interface - it lets you set channels and monitor/change parameters, but the audio still runs over an old-fashioned audio cable...

If you click the link on that web page, it'll take you to the instruction manual, which explains all of this, complete with little pictures....

Archived