Fat frog

afterworks

I'm taking over a tour in September, they have a Fat Frog which isn't being used at the moment which I will be using from Sept. They have 6 heads, 4 Scanners and 2 colour changers. I know that the frog says it can handle 12 fixtures, but I've heard a few people say that it struggles to deal with 12 fixtures.

Also I have 2 heads that I may use instead of 2 the scanners.

Can anyone shed any light as to whether this is true or not as I really dont want it crashing half way through a show!

Thanks

Have never had any problems with my Fat Frog. Has happily run 36 dimmers and 12 fixtures for 5 or 6 hour shows. All have been busked so have had a large amount of memories recorded. I haven't run shows with all of them in a cue stack, but considering the way the frog range does it all through the memories, this should pose no stability issues.

The only thing to note is that the desk doesn't do auto move while dark to the best of my knowledge, so this could cause you difficulties and headaches if you have lots of cues.

I'm sure that some people will have had some issues, but I have never come across any.

Hi

It will work fine. We have other products like Bull Frog and Mambo Frog which on the same platform handle up to 96 fixtures. It will make no difference if they are scanners, scrollers, or heads. We have even had people run Hippotizers off the Fat Frog. Even for me that is a little bit of a stretch :) but it worked.

If you need help or want to attend a training course please visit us here

Graham

Zero 88

The only time I think you are likely to see the desk struggle is when you start abusing the shape generators (12 fixtures each running different combinations of shapes, with some having multiple shapes running over the same channel (ie circle combined with a pan flick)) - I know this was occasionally a problem on some of the older Pearls - however I have never heard anyone say they had problems with the frogs

Ok not exactly to do with the desk but you say you have 2 other heads that you could use instead of the scanners.

IMO I would use the two heads instead of the scanners. My main reason would be to keep all of the same type of fixture. This makes life easier for you when programming and with the shape generator, you will be able to create very nice effects with the 8 heads together. If you think about it, your scans will only pan at an angle of 180 degrees max. Your heads will pan at least 360 degrees. The same principle goes with the tilts: the heads will have a bigger tilt angle.

This all of course depends on many factors to your design such as whether or not you prefer to use different gobo designs, pan and tilt angles and different colour wheels between the two types of moving light and how they will be used in your overall design design.

Enough said...

Archived