Pan and Tilt Control

SceneMaster

Which control to you prefer joystick or rotary controls to control the pan and tilt of a mover?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which control to you prefer joystick or rotary controls to control the pan and tilt of a mover?

• Joystick - Pan side to side, tilt up and down
    • Rotary wheels - One wheels for pan and one for tilt
    • Rollerball - ala Strand 500 series

I am thinking of buying a scanmaters to control moving lights. There are two versions avalible joystick or rotary. The rotary version allows you to control the value of the pan or tilt channel from 0-255 and position the wheel in any position and make smooth movements (like the pearl 2004) but the joystick you point in the direction you want the light to move and then let go of it when you have positioned the lights direction but this makes for jerkey movement when trying to do suttle movments (so this is only fine for rock show where this dosn't matter!)

This may explain why few desks have joysticks!

What do you think? ;)

Stu's right - you need to add trackerballs to the poll if you want it to be complete.

Personally, I've used all three methods over the years, and I'm perfectly happy with any of them although if I had to express a preference it would probably be for rotaries.

You forgot another option, what about trackpads ala ETC Express among others?

And can't you get touch screen focus systems on some of the ridiculously expensive ones and then of course there is the Martin Trackpod system, but at seven grand thats rather excessive ;).

I would probably go for trackpad or rotary wheel, but my only experience is playing about using the trackpad to control the levels of two lanterns. I've never had a chance to try moving lights ;) .

PN

A trackball is definitely best, provided the console has the facility to lock it off in either pan or tilt (so it then acts like a wheel) and ideally also has a facility for fine control of movement.

Generally I hate joy sticks, although they are quite nice for fine tuning as you can just knock the joy stick to move pan or tilt in small movements.

Andy

Stagetec

ummmm. How exactly does a graphics tablet work (i.e. Pan/Tilt etc.)

I am a bit confused  :P  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Sam

Generally...

They work like a computer mouse sort of. The tablet itself is a cross-hatch of wires, sensative to magnetic fields, and therefore the position of the puck/mouse/pen. (Simply!)

Speaking from avolites experience...

The tablet is divided up into areas, each doing different things. There are the more mundane things like replication of the focuses, fixture groups and the like, with the added bonus of having all of these accessible at once (on the pearl, there are four 'pages' to switch between, which can get a bit hairy on larger gigs if you want to busk a bit.)

The more exciting bits are things like the colour mixing palette and the pan/tilt area. Both work by drawing your pen across the area to alter the corresponding attributes in the [moving] light(s). Can be useful for programming.

You can also 'train' the lights so that the area on stage corresponds directly to the positions in the pan/tilt area. Thus you can draw the positions of the band/actors/etc on the tablet, and position the lights live, although a bit messy in practice.

Hope I made sense! :D

hmmm I also prefer the jog wheels/dials, (everybody has there own name for them), you can be very precise.

I dont like joy sticks unless its been use with a moving mirror fixture, if its been used with a mover, then nope, I dont like them.

At the miniute im working on a small touring show, and I am using the Q-commander, which utilises a trackball, I do like the trackball, as you can lock it of on any of the axis, and its very good for working in high res (16 bit).

I have used the graphics tablet, and I think its great if you have the time to plot out your stage area so you can be spot on with the movement possition, but in the real sense then nope its just another gadget.

also I might add, that in regards to not being able to move intelligent fixtures smoothly with the joy, then in all sense its not very common to me to have to do this, as its very rare that I have to move a fixture live, usaly I have everything programmed spot on, so that I dont have to start moving heads.

vince

also what do people think of the Q-Commander, at the minute im liking it, but there is not many sub outputs, and has no faders, (unless you buy the 16 channel remote exstender) I would like to hear your views

personally I can't stand the q-commander!! I found it so restrictive and fiddley and found that I could be a lot more creative with Martin Light Jockey (and now using a pearl 2004 and strand 520i).

I guess it alright for small tours, but I was so glad to be free of it!

just my 0.02c

Archived