rain covers for macs

avdavesound

hi everyone,

I'm doing an outdoor street display in a few weeks with about 30 martin macs for a few nights.Does anybody know where I can get custom base covers made up? don't have budget to hire the domes or bases!! Any advise on using them outdoors like do's or dont's? any advice would be great!

thanks

hi everyone,

I'm doing an outdoor street display in a few weeks with about 30 martin macs for a few nights.Does anybody know where I can get custom base covers made up? don't have budget to hire the domes or bases!! Any advise on using them outdoors like do's or dont's? any advice would be great!

thanks

If their going to just be standing there and not say rigged on an outdoor stage then the best advice I can give you is go back to your supplier and come up with a deal where perhaps you get less macs but domes for them all chucked in..

General advice that I follow and thats been posted on here recently, for outdoor events with ML's is that if possible keep the units running over night/when not in use but with the lamps doused with a chase that keeps all the motors inside moving when not in use. Just keeps things from seizing up and condensation building up inside the units.

Not sure if the same rules apply when leaving them outside but in domes.. Guess it still would if your just keeping them covered with base covers..

HTH,

Tom

*edit - added comments about outdoor ML use*

Talk to the supplier about what you want to do.

If you make something yourself, and the macs get damaged you are ENTIRELY responsible for the repair costs. Would you rather pay a little bit more now and rent some domes or buy 30 nice new macs for the rental company when they all get wet and broken?

LXDad

just lite in dublin made covers for 270 robe 1200at bases recently for the red bull xfighters gig and all was ok, so I might do that. so should I keep the fixtures going 24/7? lamp on or off when gig is over? thanks

just lite in dublin made covers for 270 robe 1200at bases recently for the red bull xfighters gig and all was ok, so I might do that.
Not quote sure what your saying.. Your going to make some covers yourself based on that design? or your going to use these robe bases on macs. Either way I could see you running into problems.. Namely, if you made some yourself would you really be happy risking you've made them correctly, or if your using these robe ones made by Just Lite, you'll come up against the fact that things that need to poke through the covers, i.e. hook clamps/half couplers...

so should I keep the fixtures going 24/7? lamp on or off when gig is over?
Thats the general advice followed at everything up to large festivals, so it's a proven 'technique', I've never come across not doing it causing problems, but on those times it might have just been luck, I'll never know.. I just try to follow that advice possible at outdoor gigs.. Its all down to weather or not you can keep power running 24/7..

HTH.

Tom

Is this in the UK?

Have you seen what the weather can do these days?

Do not use a home made cover. It's that simple. I doubt that the "proper" covers might have stood up to yesterdays downpour, but at least you can say you tried as hard as you could!

it's in Ireland, it hasn't stopped raining here in 2 months!! the design isn't final yet so lights could be in a scaff tower. in my original design the lights where on a box truss over the street. so might just scrap that idea if I can't get proper domes

Archived