what wattage is a betapack 3 dimmer

five_pin_xlr

Hey Guys,

Need some help.

I cant check the zero 88 pdf as using mobile and home internet is down :D

I need help and I need the answer quick, basically have a church event outside, a simple set up small stage, AV and PA.

They want some lighting as well, just for it to be on. Only issue is there using a generator a small ish one I believe.

They want 6 lights, with 2 dimmers. (3 on each dimmer, lights are par 56 300w I think, well lamps are cp62)

They will be on 90% most the evening and thats all there doing, and there ons stands.

If someone could tell me the wattage of 1 dimmer that would be amazing.

Many Thanks

Alex

It all depends what you plug into it, and how much you turn on at once.

A dimmer with 6 50W birdies will have between 0W and 300W, a dimmer with 12 Parcans (CP60/1/2) plugged in will have between 0W and 12000W.

6 CP62s will fit marvellously on a single betapack, and will consume a maximum of 6000W, which would require at least a 32A power supply.

Alternatively, if they just require them on, hire a distro instead of a dimmer and feed them all hard power. The genny would be much happier with that!

Thats possibly the biggest mis-mash of information I have ever read.

Firstly - Betapacks pull something so low its insignificant. Its the load you place on it with lanterns that makes the difference.

Secondally - A CP62 lamp is a Medium Flood 1kw lamp, most commonly found in Par 64's (not 56's)

Thirdly - Given the amount of times people have discussed the workings out of loads for generators do you not think you could search?

Alex - are you sure you're not pulling our legs with this question? I've been reading some of your posts and found this one

I recently was turned down in being a LD for JEFF WAYNE'S - WAR OF THE WORLDS, because I didnt have any pli.

So I reckon you do know how to calculate dimmer power. Tut Tut!

If someone could tell me the wattage of 1 dimmer that would be amazing

Sorry,

I have no idea what you are asking?

What on earth is wattage?

(No pun intended)

At a guess to the answer to the question I think you are asking

As has been said the power consumption of a dimmer is nominal compared to the power consumption of a theatre lamp therefore if you have three Par 56 300W lamps per dimmer then each dimmer uses 1200W. However if as you say each lantern is fitted with a CP62 lamp which draws 1Kw then each dimmer will use 3KW of power

James

well im not pulling legs, its I had a idea, but apparantly my answer was wrong.

so as this is last minute im asking for help as the kit is being picked up tomorrow.

They might not be cp62 but there vision par 56 long nose bought from AC lighting

I have also just got back from holiday and a bit jet lagged so was kinda a lazy approach I guess as he wanted answer two days ago.

But if it is 300 x 6 then thats what I want to know, because apparantly there is a new way to work it out, but it doesnt seem right. its wattage x volt - divide amps. is this a load of cobblers and is someone pulling my leg.

alex

They might not be cp62 but there vision par 56 long nose bought from AC lighting

But if it is 300 x 6 then thats what I want to know, because apparantly there is a new way to work it out, but it doesnt seem right. its wattage x volt - divide amps. is this a load of cobblers and is someone pulling my leg.

alex

Alex,

Par 56s are genreally 300w, They wont have CP62s in,and the make of the can is irrelevent.

The load of dimmer is insignificant other than the lamps attached to it so assume that you 6 par 56s and the betapack pull 2KW (6 x 300w pars + 200w for the dimmer,it wont pull that much but hey)

I've no idea what wattage x voltage would give you,nothing useful I'd suggest. Wattage divided by voltage however would give you the load in amps. Almost. Depends on how closely the voltage rating of the lamp meets the voltage of the supply.

Hope this helps

Also any chance of a few capitals?

new way to work it out, but it doesnt seem right. its wattage x volt - divide amps. is this a load of cobblers and is someone pulling my leg.

alex

Not exactly new Ohms law:

P

I / V

P= Power in Watts

I= Current in Amps

V= Voltage in Volts

Picture it in a triangle and replace the letters with numbers, easy to do in your head but a great reality check on paper when your very tired. Can find any number by knowing other 2.

lets take your 240V 10A dimmer how many watts?

P?

10 / 240

P= I * V

p= 10 * 240

P= 2400W at 240V as can see if voltage is 230V on site, 2300W would be more appropriate rating.

I cant do even basic algebra, but PIV in a triangle is something use all the time.

erm tell me if this sounds slightly draconian but I'd be worried about anyone who forgets P = IV, or thinking there is a 'new' way having anything to do with rigging any lights - thank god for MCBs and fuses though! I know we're all prone to forgetting things at times, but something so fundamental?

Archived