Strand 520i "ON" function

spotblaster

A strange one this.

I expect when I press "ON" for the intensity channel of a fixture to go to 100% (or whatever level is set in the setup page) and for the attributes to stay where they are.

What is happening today is all that attributes are going to 100% as well when "ON" is activated! (They go to 100% even if the "ON" level is set to 70%).

The show is a derivation of an earlier one originally plotted on a 520i but offlined away from the theatre on a 300. (Both running v2.8.5)

I tried going back to the original show on the 300 for which "ON" works correctly and deleting cues, groups, subs etc. Then loaded those items from the new show leaving setup the same. "ON" now works incorrectly! So the change in function operation is travelling with cues or groups or subs or all of them....

For other old shows when loaded into the 300 "ON" works correctly.

Incorrect "ON" operation also happens on another 520i running v2.8.6 when the suspect show is loaded.

The workround is to use "@" "@" which does work properly.

Has anyone seen this before - is it a bug or incorrect operation on my part?

Thanks in anticipation.

Spotblaster.

I could be wrong, but I think it may be something to do with having the attributes included in the ON system group (in the 900's)... Let me boot up a console and check.

Edit: Yup! Thats your problem! Go into Display Group, and go to group number 993.1 - Then type 1 THRU 9999 @ . * - This will remove all data from that group, and return your ON key to normal function. Hope this helps!

FYI: Setting levels on channel intensites in 993.1 allows you to have a different "ON" level for different channels, bypassing whatever is set as the default in setup. For example you may wish ON for Tungsten lamps to be 70%, but Macs/VL's/HMI's etc to be 100%.

If you do this however, make sure you ONLY insert Intensities into the group - simply typing CHANNEL @ {FULL} * or CHANNEL @ @ * will also add Attributes at 0, resulting in you inadvetantly setting all attributes to 0 whenever you "ON" a channel - To avoid this do CHANNEL @ {INTS ONLY} {FULL} *, or CHANNEL .1 @ @ *

Did you find a way of excluding them?

My method would be to stick them on an exclusive submaster then only use rec-sub... Or I suppose you could do something with channel partitioning...

Edit: Channel partitioning would mean you loose control of the channel entirely, however, you could enable Playback Partitioning, and remove the channels you don't want in cues from the X1 playback group... This wouldn't stop them being recorded into cues, however it *would* stop cues changing the levels of that channel... Assuming single playback operation of course

The requirement is to have haze machine control on a sub for plotting but not to have the levels go into cues.

Setting those channels off in group 998.1 having preloaded those channels onto a sub and then turning channel partitioning on in show setup seems to do the trick.

The haze machine channels remain under sub control but cannot be selected to the wheel and do not go into any recorded cues.

Thanks again

Spotblaster

My thoughts exactly. So I tried it both on a 300 (v2.8.5) and 520i (v2.8.6) and with subs set to exclusive function generating black numbers on a yellow background on screen I recorded a cue. The levels from the exclusive subs went in to the cue!

So looked in the manual and this is what it says about exclusive subs:

EXCLUSIVE (Exclusive submaster)

Submaster intensities are as recorded in the submaster and modified by the submaster fader, the Submaster Supermaster, and the grand master. They are not changed when cues or effects run, when other submasters are changed, or when channel control is used on the same channels. If the same channel is used in two exclusive submasters, the last submaster to move off zero steals that channel.

No mention of excluding channels on exclusive subs from record.

Would be ever so useful if it did!

Interesting!

Spotblaster

The show uses groups of channels on subs as the main building blocks for the cues. I am sorry I could have been more clear in explaining this.

Many thanks for all contributions - I have certainly learnt a few things.

Spotblaster.

Channels on exclusive subs are still recorded in every cue, but they will simply have no effect when the cues are run as long as the exclusive sub is still active

You can change this effect by altering the sub to "normal" after recording the show. This way you could record your hazer as you plotted the show but without the hassle of it coming on needlessly whilst you are plotting.

If you really want to use the hazer sub during a show then just leave it as an exclusive sub. Note, if you like (for neatness sake) you could delete the channels involved from the cue list - "Channel List Update Cue 1 through 999 at 0"

Liam.

Archived