Creating the ELVIS sound

Christoff

Hi Guys

I dont know if im in the right forum or not but seems right to me. I am an Elvis tribute singer (Not another one I hear) I am trying to promote myself with a cd. I have a small home recording studio I use Adobe audition with various pluging etc I know its not as good as the old studio setup or even the old valve driven equipment, but there must be some way of over coming my problem. My problem is getting the clear warm crisp ELVIS sound no matter what effects I use it still dont seem right. I use a SM58 for vocals which suits for my live performances so I used this to record. Any input would be welcome :(

Thanks

Christoff

Have you considered hiring a large diaphragm mic and possibly a vocal channel with a valve pre-amp stage? This setup would definately give you the 'warmth' you are looking for. The only downside may be that the modern mics are too clean and wouldn't relate the tonal quality of the mics used back in Elvis' day.

Steve

It isn't just Elvis/Buddy Holly type sound that is difficult to achieve, any of the 'crooner' types are a problem. Historically, these people used the artificial bass characteristics of directional microphones to add that warmth to the voice - using microphones more than foot away from the mouth was common then, and with omnis, moving them closer just increased pops and splutters - when the cardioid effect was 'discovered', this was another good reason to keep the talent away from them. When they discovered the bass increase and warmth could be used to artistic effect it made some quite average voices sound much nicer. Sm58's were designed to let people almost sxwallow them without the extra bass being overpowering. The snag you're having is just that they sound different to the old fashioned large types. By todays standards many of these sounded to modern ears simply awful! - but in front of an Elvis or a Bing Crosby - what a difference.

The advice to try a large diaphragm type is sensible - the Chinese ones are fine - if you can find one, the Oktava 219 and 319 original East European made ones sound pretty good when used close in. Normal studio use means a bit more distance, and a popper stopper, but if you get very close and use a big foam windshield they sound quite early American. Why not ask around and see if any friends have mics you can try - then you'll have more choice before buying.

Hi Guys thanks for the advice I already have an Antares Mic Modeller which does emulate the tube warmer, Large large diaphragm,ribbon mics etc. but it still sounds as you say too clean. I will look for a different mic. Thanks for the advice.

The Antares Mic Modeller - marvellous bit of kit. Plug in a 58 and push the Neumann U87 preset. I have one of those in my rack too. Trouble is, they don't really work. As I said - the frequency response of the 58 is tailored to cope with the windsheild basket being pressed up against the mouth - a real big mic sounds totally different - and the modelling feature can't do this.

In fact, it could be worth trying one of the cheap Shure 55 copies - they don't sound much like the original, but do sound 'odd' - and maybe just what you're looking for?

Hi Christoff,

I do like the sound I get from my Shure 55SH, It's obviously a tad more expensive than a 58 say but shure have worked to model the sound on the original.

You don't say in your profile where in which country you are based but If you wanted to borrow one to have a listen and see how one performs and are in the London / Surrey area then drop me a PM.

James

Hi Guys thanks for the info and James thanks for the offer but I followed Pauls advice and ordered a Oktava Km319 Russian made Hope it sounds as good as the reviews I read. I already Have a Sure 55SH which I use for live work Its a great Mic but still lacks that warmth and depth. P.S James I live in Wakefield area

Cheers

Christoff

• 2 weeks later...
I work with an elvis impersonator, most modern mics sound too clean, try an ev re10 or 15 thats what elvis used in the comeback special on ebay.com for around 90 to 100 euro.he used alot of the classic ev mics back then the 644, 664. and get the best tube pre amp you can afford and you won't be far off the sound

I'd have a look n the sound on sound they do really good bits on how things were recorded and theres probably some Elvis somewhere in the archives I used it for recording some red hot chilis tracks and some of the effects and mic position they used I used and were really useful.

The Elvis tribute had 2 guitars, bass, drums, keys, 2 x BV and Elvis and sounded very realistic to the old Elvis I have heard on CD and TV/Film. In fact, I was impressed.

What did Elvis use?

A Shure UHF with SM58 head!

Sounded damn good - so the effort on sourcing a replica/original vintage mic could well be wasted - if your Elvis sounds like the real one did.

The Elvis tribute had 2 guitars, bass, drums, keys, 2 x BV and Elvis and sounded very realistic to the old Elvis I have heard on CD and TV/Film. In fact, I was impressed.

What did Elvis use?

A Shure UHF with SM58 head!

Sounded damn good - so the effort on sourcing a replica/original vintage mic could well be wasted - if your Elvis sounds like the real one did.

I work with europes no.1 elvis, emerald elvis here in Ireland and all he uses is a beta 58 and sometimes I give him my sennheiser md 441 or neumann km105 with a spl pre-amp compressor, really impressed with the 441. in the live performance its doesn't work with the vintage mics you just sound muddy, but in the studio you really need to use the old ev's and rca mics to get the same type of sound elvis did or else it sounds 2 clean and not believable. also I use an old box spring reverb unit and tape delay in the studio because the effects he used where very important aswell. live performance I use an spx and roland sde 1000

Archived