Soundcraft Vi4

Peter F

Topic description says it all really.

I am starting to accept that I am going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the world of digital. Having has a very quick fiddle with what I believe was a Vi6 in the Mean Fiddler I am very interested in having a play with the smaller version. Trouble is, whoever has bought them in the UK, and someone must have done, they seem to be keeping it secret!

Come on, own up, who has got one that they can let me have a play with? Preferably a hire company, I don't want to buy one and I would rather hear honest opinions, not sales patter.

My end of the multicore is usually monitors, so I'd be wanting one with graphics in it.

Anyone help? Any suggestions? Any opinions offered?

I am based in West Yorkshire but I get about a bit so anywhere in the UK is OK. I can wait until the festival madness is over if your desk is very busy.

Dry hire rates on a Vi4? 4 weeks?

Thanks to anyone who can help,

PM me if you don't want to demo to the entire forum!

Peter

I think that there are a number of problems which have hindered the adoption of the Soundcraft consoles in the hire market. These are:

- Problems/bugs/crashes on the first releases.

- No integrated effects processors (they have release these now but you have to PAY to get them!)

- Poor support structure from Soundcraft.

I know that SKL up here in Edinburgh has a Vi6 but not sure if they have a Vi4.

Steve

I have used the Vi4 under supervision with a sound tech who has used it before at the Cambridge corn exchange,

Despite it having quite a few bugs, such as the O and the U keys on the touch screen keyboard not working, (Which turned the Overture into the vertre) I found it easy to understand and picked up on it quickly, well the basics at least !

One good feature is that you can make all of the channels become the EQ , with all the faders turning red and becoming the low end at the left side of the console, and the high end at the right of the console, the colour assinging of the channels is also a good feature, prehaps just cause it glows and looks pretty !

I would upload a pic but it dosnt seem to want to let me...Mods?

On the same topic, does anyone have a (ballpark) list price for the vi6. Since that the Vi6 is priced to be a 5d killer, my hope is that we've got an alternative to the m7 on our hands?

M

EDIT: Sorry, my get out finished at 5am this morning after the truck got stuck for 2 hours in a dirt track covered in festival toilet overflow. What I meant to say was "does anyone have a ballpark price for the vi4 as I've potentially got an application for one in an install coming up?"

On the same topic, does anyone have a (ballpark) list price for the vi6. Since that the Vi6 is priced to be a 5d killer, my hope is that we've got an alternative to the m7 on our hands?

M

Prices I have seen for the Vi6 are around the Yamaha 5d region, I wouldn't describe it as priced as a 5d killer.

Given the Vi6 pricing I think a fair guess would be the Vi4 is going to be going up against the m7, list price for the Yamaha is £16,700 (48ch) £14,000 (32ch), I can only draw ideas from those prices.

I shall cease speculating and go and ask Soundcraft.

FWIW, when I came into contact with the Vi6 the FOH guy who used it loved it, and he's an old school proper engineer who previously would not have ever been happy with a digital desk. After one show he was converted, thought it sounded great and would quite happily spec one. I am interested in the Vi4 because realistically we could spec and expect that level of desk.

Peter

Archived