Strand 300 trackball

GRisdale

Can anyone suggest a suitable trackball for Strand 300 use? It would appear that the "official" ball (Microsoft Explorer?) is no longer in production and I need to buy from a 'real' company (university finance don't do Ebay - computer says no). I can't, off the top of my head, remember how many buttons the original had for pan/tilt lock etc.

Is there anyone out there who is happily using an alternative product with full functionality?

Many thanks,

Gareth Risdale.

I use a normal Logitech Marble Mouse, which has a trackball and click buttons in the same configuration as the "official" mouse for a Strand 300... much cheaper to replace and slightly more user friendly I find...

Thanks for the replies so far. The marble mouse looks to be a cost effective solution, though is lacking in mouse wheel... The Logitech Trackman looks good, though doesn't have as many buttons as the original... Or am I mistaken?

Cheers,

Gareth.

The Logitech Trackman looks good, though doesn't have as many buttons as the original... Or am I mistaken?
Could be wrong, (getting to be another ) but IIRC our original only has 2 buttons..... (Racks brains...)

Could be wrong, (getting to be another ) but IIRC our original only has 2 buttons..... (Racks brains...)

Just checked - original Explorer has 5 buttons according to spec. Two by your thumb (left side of ball), two by your fingers (right side of ball) and one hiding beneath the mouse wheel. Can't remember what they all do... Though I seem to remember that two of them are for locking pan and tilt, and one changes what the wheel does. Something like that anyway - I await correction!

Gareth.

If I recall, the 3 main buttons operate in a similar fashion to the 3 buttons above a trackball on a 500 series (Hold centre and left for pan lock, centre and right for tilt lock, hold centre for x10 mode on trackball, left and right on their own cycles through ATC pages). I seem to remember than the other two buttons cycle through the individual attributes on the current ATC page, and thereafer the wheel ajusts the value of the selected attribute.

That's how I recall it, correct me if I'm wrong!

Archived