Dimming Packs

LordAJ

Current x Voltage = Power

Assuming you are in the UK then 5 x 240 = 1200 Watts.

If you are using 300W cans then that is 4 of them per channel, if it's 1000W cans then it's just one per channel. But don't forget that you have just 13A (probably) feeding the unit so that is 13 x 240 = 3120 Watts in total.

And don't feed your scanners from a dimmer. They are not meant to be run that way and you will kill them.

I'd suggest you sign up at http://www.mobiledjforums.com/.

If you are using 300W cans then that is 4 of them per channel

Would it not be wise to leave some sort of 'safety' margin, as opposed to running literally as much as possible from the dimmer?

Would it not be wise to leave some sort of 'safety' margin, ...

That's a good question.

I design electronics kit for a living. If I were designing a 5A dimmer (been there, done that, got the tee-shirt) then I would design it to do 5A 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And that is the assumption that the safety standards make. And as a buyer, if I see a 5A dimmer then I expect it to do 5A not 3A. Any de-rating in the design should be done 'inside the box' that's to say, if there needs to be a safety margin then, with our example, you design the dimmers as a 7A unit but mark it at 5A.

As an odd example it's a bit like buying a 100W lamp for your lounge only to read on the box that you should never turn the wall dimmer up above 80% as the lamp is only good to 60W.

Yes, there is the whole issue of switch on surges and cold filament surges but it almost impossible to factor those in.

Archived