Hired equipment insurance

I'm doing some audio recording work this weekend as a favour for some friends, and as this isn't the kind of thing I do day-to-day I'm having to hire in a few bits and pieces. On a couple of the quotes I've recieved they have quoted the value of the equipment being hired for insurance purposes.

This worries me a little - it's not something I'd thought of before now to be honest - and I wondered what the usual situation is with insurance for hire kit. Is it insured by the hire companies, or do they expect the customer to provide equipment cover?

- Jonathon

Guest lightnix

The equipment is your responsibility, from the time you collect it until its return, along with having the insurance in place to cover it, should it become lost, stolen or damaged.

Check out Torribles, Arthur Doodson, Robertson Taylor, etc. for quotes - that's when you'll need the insurance value to hand. Pay attention to any exclusion clauses. For instance: the equipment will almost certainly need to be locked away while unattended and a vehicle may not be sufficient by itself, unless it is in a locked compound; like I said: check.

It does vary between hire companies but most will not include insurance as part of the package. Some may offer limited cover for an additional fee but you should check with the company in question and ensure that you read and understand their terms and conditions.

Also remember that in the event of a loss or damage, the hire company may treat the equipment as being 'on-hire' until the cost of replacement or repair has been settled. This may incur additional fees.

Steve

Getting insurance on equipment I hire to people just isn't possible until you are the size of people like SLX/Viking/WL etc - of course once you are that big, you tend to stand the risk yourself, as the contracts specify the end user is responsible - so the real problem with insurance is when the end user doesn't have insurance OR the money to pay you for damaged or lost items. For me, the real problem is I can't afford to be wiothout it, as I don't have another 15 on the shelf!

For the smaller business, if you NEED insurance, then you almost certainy can't afford to get it! Catch 22.

Thanks everyone for your comments, that clears the situation up a bit. I'll have a look round for insurance, but would I be right in thinking that it's not going to be easy getting a policy to cover what is a relativley low value hire for only a week? I'll also ask the hire company - the best value quote I've had it is infact from one of the bigger ones mentioned in this thread, and I guess they possibly have something themselves or a recomended insurer at least.

Thanks again.

Archived