Locking an Eye Nut to Threaded Bar

nickb12345

Hi All

Quick question.

We have a couple of old rigging points in our roof that are not un-used and currently stand as 3 inches of M10 threaded bar sticking out the roof. They used to have chandeliers attached to them.

We have the need to put some light weight signage up in that area soon and managed to get our hands on some M10 Eye Nuts to put on the rod and tie the signs off to. We are not talking any great wight here but the fixings go direct to the RSJ's and the eye nuts are rated at 0.23T.

But looking at them I'm not sure if just screwing them onto the end of the rod is enough - its not exactly a tight fit and I can easily untwist it with my hand - could putting some weight on them undo it in the air?

Am I just being paranoid or should I be taking measures to stop it turning? If so what do people recommend doing to stop it?

Thanks

Nick

I'm not sure if it would undo in mid air, but what you could do is use a Lock nut which won't undo unless you use a spanner etc. or use two nuts screwed in next to each other

e.g.

http://www.technologystudent.com/images4/lcnut2.gif

I was looking at using locking nuts of some kind but it just seemed to take up a lot of space on the inside of the eye. Now in this case thats fine and I may well use them as we have them in stock but is there not a more practical solution that doesnt fill half the inside of the eye?

Thanks

Nick

A lock nut is just another nut done up tightly to the main nut in the required position as the nuts are done up spanner tight then neither will be free to move so -yes the locknut can be above the eye nut in this thread's example. And a locknut can be half thickness, as it doesn't bear axial load!

A self locking nut is one with a friction insert, fibre or plastic or metal, and is stable on its own. However this would not provide the ring of an eye-nut.

Ha ha Yep I'm going to recreate the famous drop scene! By loosening an Eye Nut.

We have got rid of our old chandeliers and replaced them with LED house lighting - thank god for that! Wasn't worth what we paid for them! I would have preferred to have enough fixtures to light the whole stage first!

The short answer is Loctite 2701 - Maximum Strength threadlocker.

This is designed for stuff that won't be taken apart very often.

Loctite 222, 242, 243, 270 or 290 may also suit.

Loctite 242 and 270 may not be available anymore as they are superseded by 243/290 and 2701 respectively.

Ah yes - a nut above the eye nut seems the way to go. I knew it would be something simple!

A bit less permanant than the thread lock mentioned above!

Agreed, a locking nut above sounds better. About the threadlock though, you can get different strengths, so you should have been able to get something that'll just stop the eye nut spinning loose without being permanent.

Archived