Cable across a public road

richard

Hello chaps

I am trying to work out a way of getting some cables (lighting, sound video) across a very busy road in central london. We can get a short closure to lay ramp across, and we have a full closure for the event but I don't know what there is available that is suitable for laying over a public highway (the stuff Stage Electrics do is meant only for site work)

Has anyone had to do this before and if so how have they managed it?

Thanks

Richard

We used to have to supply electrics for tour buses in a parking bay over the road from the venue I worked at. Used cantenary wire - obviously higher than double deckers etc.

Surely the highways dept. or council should be able to advise you on what they would expect?

Second for the cantenary wire. Thats what we've had to do every time in london when there has not been a structure in place. Not knowing where you are working, but in areas like the Mall and Hyde park there are some channels already in place under the road surface that can be used.

It may be possible (with permission) to use lamposts (or scaff poles fixed to them) to support catenary wires. Failing that you'll have to attach them to adjacent buildings, possibly even drilling holes for eyebolts!

But remember that the weight of cables can be considerable and a catenary wire transfers most of this force to the horizontal direction, pulling the supports inwards!

I'm sure I've also seen trussing (both the aluminium theatre sort and the steel scaffolders type) used to carry cables over roads on OBs.

Sadly I don't think the historic buildings would like us bolting in to them around there. The truss bridge is definatly an option, especially for the OB route, it would just be nice if at least our screen cables could be ramped in some way but I don't know that that is possible.

Thanks for the help so far!

Richard

Could try this but it depends on the traffic on that road.

http://www.cableprotector.co.uk/externalcableprotectors.asp

6000kg max weight. Can sure how much a bus weights per axle. Going to see if I can find a more Heavy Duty, Heavy Duty System. More details about the event could help. Like width of road. How busy the road is etc.

But anyway hope this helps

Regards

Jamie

yeah we got a large stack of those at work.. theyre great! fast and a lot stronger than they look..... we had FULL bin lorries trundling over them last weekend at full speed.... moved a tiny bit in 3 days but nothing you wouldnt expect

really fast to rig.. just a little repettative if you forget one cable and have to re-open (or in our case.. wifi DMX not working so need to lay DMX cable....)

Average coach has a between 10 and 12 tonne unladen weight, get 50 people on and their luggage and this will increase a little, the rear axle would carry a higher proportion of the weight.

More than 6000kg on the rear axle of a full coach. More still on a 40ft truck, though the weight would be distributed over more axles.

Whilst the cable protector type product is very good and very strong I have seen it split apart at the joins when there have been high volumes of traffic over it. It seems to depend on the approach speed of the vehicles crossing it and the adhesion the ramp has to the surface it is laid on. grass= good gravel = bad.

The truss bridge might be the way to go

Archived