Rollerskating On Stage

broadway_lad

Hi There,

I am currently staging a school production (a sports college) which our choreographer wants to include rollerskating in a particular song. I would like to know if anyone knows whether or not I need a 'License To Skate' and if not where do I apply for one.

Cheers

If you're a student then it's not your problem, it's something that should be taken up with the school's H&S bod by which ever member of staff is in charge of the show. I suspect said H&S bod will either know the answer or know someone who knows. After all, it's their responsibility to ensure said things are in order.

If it's a Starlight Express song you may well need some form of blanket licence as it is a 'dramatic performance' of the song. But that's more performing rights than skating license.

I'm pretty sure you don't need any licence, though as I'm sure you will anyway, you need to be used to skating on the surface and in the area you will be performing. I skated in a performance when I was younger and I'd been practicing on a wooden floor like the stage. But wasn't told the stage was on a rake. It wasn't possible to rehearse on the stage before the dress rehearsal. Needless to say I almost rolled off the front of the stage a couple of times during that rehearsal!

It's funny that this is being asked - when I first got the script for the show I'm lighting at the minute, I got to about scene 5 and the director had pencilled in the margin 'Props: roller skates, skateboards'. I almost had a heart attack: although our stage doesn't have a rake, it was far too easy to imagine someone skating clean off the edge and into the band below! After attending many rehearsals it looks like the idea was dropped though, because I haven't seen a trace of a skateboard or roller skates yet :)

As to the actual question, I'd imagine that as long as a risk assessment says it's alright, there wouldn't be a problem. I could be wrong though, considering my extreme lack of experience.

I am currently staging a school production (a sports college) which our choreographer wants to include rollerskating in a particular song. I would like to know if anyone knows whether or not I need a 'License To Skate' and if not where do I apply for one.

Extremely unlikely. (Apart from the Starlight Express example, which is because the show is in copyright. The fact that it includes skating is irrelevant).

Like anything, you do need to do an H&S risk assessment.

The only other thing, which is very remote, is that if your venue is covered by a public entertainments licence (unlikely as it's a college) and there is a clause in that which says "no rollerskating" then you need to get that amended. Likewise if the college's insurance policy says "rollerskating on stage not covered" you'd need to do something about that.

I'm really sorry, but I've gone into grumpy old man mode again!

Is it just me, or do students have to do everything for themselves nowadays? and where on earth do they get the crazy idea that they have to have licences for every activity. In the 'real' world you need a licence for pretty sensible things - guns, using the radio spectrum, driving, etc. and some things need some kind of evidence that you are competent to use them - as in fork lift trucks where bodies such as the Health and Safety Commision have approved training organisations. These things often get called a licence, but they're not really - but they are used as if they were.

Other things are just activities with a bit more risk to them than walking, or sitting.

The day we all need a wallet full of licences, we should all just give up!

I feel sorry for the students who come onto the forum to check these kind of things. I really think that if you are a student, then somebody else should take the risk responsibility. I get the impression that the teachers don't get involved in explaining things anymore?

I agree with Paulears, that would be a sad day.

My impression is that a lot of 'responsible' teachers/parents/H&S persons just use the 'license' excuse if anything comes up that they consider too hard to actually review or take responsibility for. It is a very annoying trend which at the end of the day has a very detrimental effect on sensible regulations, the H&S version of the boy who cried wolf.

Don't have a solution, but that could be an interesting topic for a new thread.....

I agree with much of the above. No such thing as a "licence to roller skate", but the RA could be difficult. Much more difficult than "allowing" adult actors take this on, as we all know kids WILL piss about. If they do that on a stage with a 4' drop, on skates...

Thanks for all your help and no we ain't starlight expressing - the reason I ask is because this is a student run production and the teacher knows my track record and reviews and is jelous that she's not apart of it so basically she is throwing licenses in your face and to other members of staff and is being very uncooperative - so I've had to take every onto my own back and find out what I need to do what whihch is a pain in the arse - but I want it done right so she can't say wel you ain't got this - so you can't do this.

In reply to paulears - it's not that she doesn't want to take responisibilty - she just wont tell me so the show wont go on - which I think she knows I wont give in

Thanks Again

Ah, I see. So your teacher doesn't want the show to be staged, so knowing your previous history, is making life difficult for you, because she can't be part of it?

How odd.

Still, I expect you know best. I hope it goes well, and she accepts your paperwork, when you've done it. If you get stuck completing it. someone on here will be glad to help.

She probably thinks she is charge, or something!

P

I maybe phrased it wrong - the show is student run and no teacher is involved in the directing side (except MD but she's happy to let us run the ship) the drama teacher knows that I've worked performed in the west end and have close family working in town (and frankly know more than her) and the shows that I've MD and directed (out of school) - have been very succesful and she is jelous becasue she is not part of the production team.

Like anything, you do need to do an H&S risk assessment.

Do RA's done by (secondary level) students actually carry any weight though? I'm not sure they do...certainly not if it came to an insurance or actual H&S level...

Archived