job title - vision mixer?

I need a bit of help with the CV - I do some live video mixing work, but I'm not sure what to call it on my CV. "vision mixer" seems the obvious choice, but that's what the grey box with "panasonic" written on it is called too, which is a bit confusing. "Video technician" is a bit more general than I'd like. Any thoughts?

Are you serious? A vision mixer is what you are if you are the person who works the gadget that cuts between sources - this gadget may be called a vision mixer, but more often nowadays a switcher. If you don't know what you are called, then adding it to your CV does seem a little, er, optimistic.

If I saw a CV with "video engineer" on it I would expect them to be very technically knowledgeable on everything from video protocols to hardware and be able to spec, design, set up and fault find complex systems. If they couldn't I'd see it as a lie.

yeah to me a video engineer is a video rack engineer... ie video signal quality control....

(like my godfather was)

I'm going to throw this into the conversation....

WATCH TV

watch the credits...

what is the job title stated as before the name?

vision mixer

... the switcher is the machine, and the mixer is the person.

Not in the UK. Over here a switcher is a different beast; it's what we call the main switching matrix or router. Nope, the bit of kit which selects sources and mixes or wipes between them is called the vision mixer and it's driven by the vision mixer.

I do some live video mixing work, but I'm not sure what to call it on my CV. "vision mixer" seems the obvious choice, ...snip... "Video technician" is a bit more general than I'd like. Any thoughts?

What I've put on my CV, having done some video mixing/preparation on more than a few occasions, is to simply state that I have experience of setting up and operating AV equipment. Obviously if you're going for an AV job then you'll need to be much more specific but if, like me, it's a general dogsbody-type job then just stating that you have a general experience would be enough and then they can ask you about it at interview.

But then that's just me

While I agree, Brian - certainly for spoken langauge, but with the manufacturers now internationally branding the products as switchers and not vision mixers, the engineering mobs are having to enter the lantern/luminaire phase, and change their terminology to suit the person being communicated with!

A google search for vision mixer, is pretty fruitless - the basic Panasonics and similar turn up - but you won't get any mention of the bigger players.

The Beeb, and pretty well all the europeans still label them vision mixers (thank goodness, as that's a damn good description), but the manufactures have dropped it, and have switchers and routers, instead of our vision mixers and routers. Daft, really. I was talking at the Broadcast Show to For-a, and they were still speaking "Vision mixers", which was nice.

Sorry for a 'Me Too' post, but as someone who uses Freelance People, I'd be perfecly happy with Vision Mixer. That would say to me that they can Vision mix a Show. A Video Engineer would indicate that they have more in depth knowledge of video systems. They might be the same person who has the ability to do both roles. It maybe that a Vision Mixer doesn't have the skills of a Video Engineer, but they are more artistic.

Archived