Fireworks work

soundiesam

I dont know whether there are any people who work for any Fireworks display companiesin here but Ill try anyway. Ive been trying to get training/ work in fireworks for a few years now but nothing ever seems to come of it. Ive got a real interest but getting any experience is a hard task is there any fireworks companies or people who work for fireworks display companies on here that would be willing to train me?

sam

Don't give up...

The good firework companies will be grateful of your enthusiam.

Suggest that you contact as many as possible and do the level 1 and level 2 courses as soon as you can also.

Stating the obvious, but you will be aware that fireworks are seasonal and you are just about right to start pitching to all the companies you can for the busy work in November/December.

Contacts for all the professional companies can be found here BPA

Lincoln

do you know how much it costs to do those two courses?

For info I paid £125 for my BPA Level 1. To progress to level 2 you'll need level 1 plus a number (12? IIRC) professional displays under your belt plus another exam.

Thats a lllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooot of money

sam

Is it? I thought that was quite cheap for something that will allow you to do something potentially lethal.

Ah, right, I see - sorry, I assumed that NGM productions was actually the name of a production company. My mistake.

So when you say "rigger", then, do you actually mean a 'real' rigger in the sense that Seano is a rigger? Or do you mean someone who just rigs lanterns? (Because that second example isn't what this industry means by the job description of "rigger" ...)

and you are just about right to start pitching to all the companies you can for the busy work in November/December.

In my experience, most of the work is over the summer, and there are a couple of hectic weekends in the 'obvious' times in November/December. These hectic weekends are times when fireworks companies will want reliable experienced workers rather than having to train them up on the job. However, things are usually slightly more relaxed during the summer gigs and more suitable for some one new to the work. If you get on it straight away you may be able to get some work this summer.

Have a look at the BPA website, the member companies will be respectable firms. Approaching these firms expressing your interest is as good a way as any, and learning from the grimey level is probably the best way to do it.

There seems to be much more of a tendency in this industry to use freelancers who do day jobs as well - which is good in many ways, but also means there are a lot of hobbyists who are willing to work cheaply as long as they can set off some pyro (though as always, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.... Sorry, rant over.)

Archived