Phase reverse Lodestar

AndyJones

Hello All.

Had a Lodestar 1t motor come into the warehouse today, it is the latest model (in fact this is it's second time out!) which due to phase reversing had overun its limits so far that the hook is stuck on the top of the motor. I want to know if this is something that I can fix easily on my own? I will call LTM (were we purchased the unit from) tomorro, just wondering whether this is something that I can attempt safely.

many thanks

AndyJones

If you load test the unit after sorting the issue then no problem, if that cannot be done, then it's back to base at LTM. The chain probably is stretched?????? Another reason for caution and for returning back to LTM. Add: A tool to check chain stretch does exist.

Andy,

If it has passed its limit switches and the hook is stuck, would you really be happy freeing it and using the device without it being checked by a 'competent person'?

Surely the limit switches are there to do just that - irrespective of the phase order. If the safety switches aren't stopping chain travel, I'd withdraw the unit and let the supplier see to it.

Simon

Surely the limit switches are there to do just that - irrespective of the phase order. If the safety switches aren't stopping chain travel, I'd withdraw the unit and let the supplier see to it.

Well, the supplier should see it, but the limit switches are not "irrespective of the phase order". That's why it's essential that the units always be phased so that the UP button raises the load. Aside from the safety issue of correct swich labels, the up limit switch will not function when it is needed!

Alas, when the last six inches of lift are needed in some low-ceiling ballrooms, unwise riggers sometimes reverse phase specifically to cut out the limit switch. That's the difference between a professional and a thug.

Hello All,

I have spoken to LTM, and have followed there instructions to remove the brake and pull the chain back through. to be honest it was extremly easy to do, and I don't see why the unit needs to be re load tested?

regards

AndyJones

Andrew C's reply is quite sufficient, but here are some more detailed possiblities:

The hook or swivel may have been damaged by contact with the chain guides.

The chain guides (a crucial and under-recognized part of the hoist) may have been damaged so that they will cause wear on every link of chain that passes through them from now on.

The chain may have been deformed. (Note that Lodestar chain is hardened, and not malleable, so this would be a fatal bit of damage. I wonder whether the chain gauge tester (if you had one, that is) can detect catastrophic stress like this, rather than gradual wear - that is, loss of metal causing the gauge to fit loosely).

The Protector (which we hope ... slipped, as designed to) and protected all these other parts .... could have been damaged, especially if they kept jogging the machine after the hook hit the hoist. The Protector is not field serviceable, by the way.

I'm not certain if the limit switch screw is subject to overtravel due to the Protector slipping. If so, that could cause damage there.

just to make this clear, the hook is just under a link from the body, so was not stuck as I was told it had been. I can see what you guys are saying, if the hook HAD been in contact with thre body then the motor would have tried to pull the hook through the motor. But since this is not the case, it seems it had been stopped just in time, the motor should be fine?

regards

Andy Jones

just to make this clear, the hook is just under a link from the body, so was not stuck as I was told it had been. I can see what you guys are saying, if the hook HAD been in contact with thre body then the motor would have tried to pull the hook through the motor. But since this is not the case, it seems it had been stopped just in time, the motor should be fine?

regards

Andy Jones

Not being funny.... but....

If you need to ask the question then you are not what would be described as a 'competent person' for the purposes of the repair.

If the motor has not been damaged then a report on the service work and what had been done to it should probably be written up and put in the LOLER file for the unit.. (because the owner of the hoist has one ;) ) signed off by you. If there is any doubt as to the safety of the unit then send it back to LTM and bill the thug who did the damage.

P.S.

I wouldn't be competent to fix a hoist... ;)

Archived