Zero 88 illusion 120

Benny

I am a student at The Clarendon School in Trowbridge,and am one of the lighting technicians. We have a Zero 88 Illusion 120 lighting desk,but quite often we have a problem with the floppy disk drive.It comes up saying "no disk in drive",even if there is.We have tried using a new disk,but it still happens,and the only cure seems to be turning the desk on and off many times.Has anyone else had this problem? and if so have you any ideas on how to solve it?

Dear Sir,

It may be one of two things.

Problem with the ribbon cable that connects the floppy drive to the main PCB. It could be that the cable is loose and is make intermitant contact with the floppy

The other is a fault with the actual floppy it's self.

As Brian has said it is a standard PC floppy drive so it may be possible to get your IT department to replace it.

Failing that contact me to arrange for it to be looked at.

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently investigating problems with certain types of floppy disk drives that are used in our desks.

Something to do with the head not going back to track zero sometimes when it is powered up - not sure of the exact technical details, but it is being looked into :stagecrew:

I had the pleasure? of an Illusion 240 last week.  It also had problems accessing the disk sometimes.  Ejecting and re-inserting the disk several times eventually made it work.

According to the guy who is investigating the floppy disk drive problem - five times is the magic number :D

Archived