Replacement bass amp speaker

Guest minisrule192

Guest minisrule192

Hi,

Our Peavey TNT 115S bass amp wasn't sounding right so we took a closer look at the speaker to find the cone coming apart from the rest of it.

We decided it would probably best to buy a replacement but I'm not sure what one to go for.

On the actual amp part of it it says "160w, 25.3v RMS, 4ohms". I had a look on Thomann and could only find 15" 8ohm speakers.

Am I looking at the wrong thing? I don't have much knowledge in this area. I was looking at this one: http://www.thomann.de/gb/eminence_guitar_legend_121.htm

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris.

Peavey speakers have replacement "baskets" that you can change yourself. This should be much cheaper than buying a whole replacement. Any Peavey dealer will be able to supply the right part.

Edit - Just followed your link. The proper part will not be that cheap, but would be a better option though.

The main issue I think is the impedance of the driver. Whilst the cabinet dimensions and type play a vital role in this, the important thing to note is, its a 4ohm driver coming out, so putting an 8ohm driver in will not get the same power from the amp. Of course, with a more efficient 8ohm driver it may well be as loud, or louder. But with an 8ohm driver of the same sensitivity you will get less power and thus less volume. I suppose it all depends on whether you use the bass amp and need that headroom.

This is what I was talking about, and I'm sure would be your best option.

You may save some money with a different driver, but it may not sound good. Just what has been left out of the design to be able to make it that cheap?

It's best to replace with the same speaker, or to get the existing speaker repaired / reconed.

The box will be tuned to the loudspeaker, and although putting a different one in could work, it might actually sound quite poor.

Archived