Techlumen Arena+ 1200 followspot

Chiefy

Hiya all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Techlumen Arena+ 1.2Kw Followspot in terms of opperation, maintinance etc...?

I am looking to purchace two, but have no experience of these little fellows... I might also be on the lookout for a site visit to take a look if anyone would be up for it?

• 4 weeks later...

Is it the same as the Pearl River 1200 Golden scan copy/clone followspots?

If so - we have two, been trouble free, and as long as you can live with the slight delay on the iris and dimmer shutter (which does take a bit of getting used to) they are very good value for money.

If you are anywhere near yarmouth, you're welcome to pop in.

Golden scan copy/clone
as long as you can live with the slight delay on the iris and dimmer shutter

From these, it appears you're talking about scans, not follow spots, or have I misunderstood.

My old school has recently bought 2 teclumen 1200 spots. Being a school, they don't get a great amount of use, but when they are used are subject to a greater amount of abuse and lack of care. However they have stood up to this well.

On the various occasions I have been draughted back in to help with lights for more complex shows, I have been impressed with them, especially as they replaced Patt 253 follows. On the 2 largest shows I help with, they contend with a largish par can wash, and 8 heads happily, even though they have a 20m throw.

I would happily recommend them to anyone, both in terms of build quality and performance.

EDIT: To change from patt 243 to 253 once I realised my mistake.

The 253 isn't a followspot, it was a profile, but could have an iris fitted - but it fitted into the top, and the heat there was a bit excessive for bare hands. Do you mean 293?

There are followspots around based on the old Goldenscan 3, but with a simple lens, and no miror assembly. The other end has a panel with iris, dimmer, and a button per colour, plugged in via the DMX input. They work quite well, and as a 1200 discharge fixture, aren't too bad.

Was quite convinced they were 253, but could well have been 293. Considering how similar they were, I couldn't tell, except for difference with the mounting. I don't think the mounting matched the one sown with the 293, so cannot be sure. I think the yoke looked like a standard yoke mounted on the underside, and yes they did get very hot. Were eventually skipped as they were both becoming electrically unsafe, were losing the colour brackets, and had lost the ability to change the focus.

Re the scans, I now see what you mean, but was confused originally as I couldn't match the description you gave to any kind of FS I know. We had vaguely been looking at similar things though terralec, before the school came across enough money to fund buying more traditional style spots.

Is it the same as the Pearl River 1200 Golden scan copy/clone followspots?

I don't think they are quite the same, but then again I wouldn't have a clue as I have not even seen the Techlumen yet!

I have basically started a new job as Tech Manager for a new multi purpose venue (its still a building site at the mo!) and SLX, who have been working on this job for some time now, have put together a spec for our music venue and have specified Techlumen f/spots (to be honest I have never even heard of the company let alone their lamps!) My first choice for a follow spot in this range would be the RJ Foxy, but stage don't have a supply contract with RJ (White Light would be a good point of contact there!) and RJ are a little more expensive!

So any suggestions/ recommendations are really helpful, so keep them coming...!!

Thanks

Have you asked SLX to show you one? Maybe you could do a shoot out with a RJ of your choice, then decide if you would like to spend some more money (if you are able to make decisions like that).

LXdad

Archived