RF Demodulator/Tuner

Pete McCrea

A regular gig (our third year) has decided that this year we must use the inhouse RF system to get the video feeds around the site. We have about 10-15 plasmas that will need to get audio and Comp Video through the RF system. The trouble being that all the Plasmas I'll have on site are Pro Units with no RF input. So I need to demodulate the RF signal back to good old Composite and Audio.

Trouble is can I find a demodulator/RF Tuner for a 'sensible' Price? Can I heck. I've tried the usual suspects (Google, RS, CPC-Farnell) with no luck.

I'm looking to get around 5-10 of the units to tune the signal back down, and didn't want to spend much more than £20/Unit. I will probably get the RF to several points, then DeMod, and run some of the feeds from that point direct to the screens, and some to further screens on BNC cabling. The other option is using VHS's to do the detune, but I'm trying to avoid clutter. the hope was to get something that could be stuffed down behind a Unicol Back plate.

So in short- RF Tuner with Composite Video Out, Audio Out and for around £20. Ideally hire, but willing to buy if no one has them to hire.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

I'm reconing that might be the way forward unfortunately. I'd hoped someone here might go "ahh we have the black box3 for Black Box Co that'll do it for £3..."

I can probably get VHS decks for about £5/day from a local company, but wanted to do it a bit more neatly...

If you're going down the VCR route, you should be able to get some broken ones free, and you can bet most of them will be mechanically broken.

Everything's going digital, of the 24 products I can find on CPC, all the analogue ones are discontinued. Can you modulate the signal so it can be recieved by a freeview box?

My Freeview box also seems to accept analogue signals (i.e. you can tune in the old terrestial channels in the traditional manner) and has a scart output, so this may be a possibility for you. A Freeview box is cheaper than a VCR and arguably more useful. Takes up less space too.

(My box is a SAGE model with build in HD recorder, so not what you'd need for this application, but it might be worth trying some of the cheaper sage boxes which are tuner only)

DVB Encoding and modulation requires a great more kit than just a modulator.

We have one bay at college full of very expensive encoders, a muxer and the various modulators needed to create our internal RF ring main, not within your budget I feel.

From your original post I take it you already have the modulation equipment?

Old VHSs may be the best solution, you may even be able to butcher them to conceal them in more discrete 'black boxes'

Kris

Having used the knacked VHS trick a lot my self one simple warning: make sure you either a)can tune it with out the remote or b) have the remote. failure to take these precautions can leave you feeling some what silly....

Archived