UV Tube - mesh or not?

tvi675

True it isn't about a legal requirement but really about how YOU would feel if the unlikely happened; and one of the cast was showered with jagged glass.
As the OP said it's very unlikely. When I was at school more than half the rooms had exposed fluorescent tubes in them and not once was anyone injured by one breaking and thats in an environment arguably a lot less controlled than the OPs.
Probably in their face as fluro tubes make a bang when they go, which tends to cause people to look up.
Actually the natural reaction to loud bangs and the noise of shattering glass from above seems to be flinching and ducking down, looking to up tends to come a second or two later. If one was to break I would expect it to happen when ladders were being positioned or similar in which case the stage should be relatively clear of people.
If I didn't have either the time or the money I would settle for telling the cast NOT to throw stuff up in the air during rehearsals, and that if they hear a bang to look down and cover their faces with their hands.
Maybe you could fit it in between telling them to dodge falling lanterns and not try to set the DSM on fire? :(

Edit: Missed this before,

Is UV light reflected by mirrors, or is there a better material to use instead?
Pretty much anything shiny is equally reflective to UV as used in entertainment.

The other advantage of a guard is that it could act as a reflector giving a stronger effect.

I have used thin sheet aluminium in the past. Just have to remember to round off the edges and corners.

Dave

The other advantage of a guard is that it could act as a reflector giving a stronger effect.

A little OT...I once had a lad helping with a cleaning session after festivals... he was a Little too pro-active and reasoned that the best thing to clean the reflectors in the UV cannons because they were metal - was Brasso. The high polish finish was reduced to a non reflective grey! Fortunately he only killed one. I actually laughed when he told me, might not had been laughing if he had done all eight.

Andy

Archived