UV Tube - mesh or not?

tvi675

Hi everyone,

A quick question - for a show next week requiring UV, I've built up a home-made UV fixture out of a tube I had lying around and a strip light fitting. This will be hung above the stage so I'm not too worried about the lack of protection for the tube (can be transported in its nicely bubble-wrapped box) but I'm wondering if it requires some kind of mesh over it when in use in case of raining glass, etc.

Thanks!

Matt

If it's a fluroescent tube style then there should be no risk of the tube blowing up because of an electrical fault. However they go with a real bang if accidentally struck by something, a ladder, a thrown prop etc.. so for safety I would consider some kind of FIRMLY ATTACHED fine mesh or polycarbonate cover.

As WiLL suggests the chances of having raining glass without something first hitting the tube aren't in my humble opinion worth worrying about. As you aren't placing it on the market there is no need to CE mark it and therefore you don't need to comply with the BS requiring a mesh.

Having said that if there is any risk of breaking the tube you should certainly think about one as they tend to remain in big jagged pieces when broken making the shower of glass even nastier!

I suppose it depends on the risks. I would have thought it too likely that anything banging into it with enough force to break the lamp would also risk tearing the gel or ripping it from the fitting however it does obviously depend on the circumstances.

Possibly the simplest way would be to make a chicken wire tube that slides over the fitting and lamp with extra holes for the fixings. If you make the tube solid enough even if someone hits it with the tallescope or a bar it should hopefully deform rather than being ripped off and still hold most of the larger bits of glass.

If an incident was likely (which from the OP we hear it's not) I would defiantly go for a nice solid metal box with a welded mesh 'front' and a shock mounted tube holder however I think it might be slightly OTT here. :)

Thanks for your replies everyone :) The likelihood of any damage being done to the tube during rehearsals/performance is practically none, and to save hitting it with a ladder I'll rig it last - but it has put my mind at rest that there isn't some law out there requiring one to be fitted, thank you!

My makeshift solution will get me through the show but afterwards the suggestion by robloxley does look like the exact thing I'm after!

Cheers everyone,

Matt

True it isn't about a legal requirement but really about how YOU would feel if the unlikely happened; and one of the cast was showered with jagged glass. Probably in their face as fluro tubes make a bang when they go, which tends to cause people to look up. I'm a cynical bugger and tend to see the worst outcome from a list of possibles, if it was me, and I had both the time and the money, I would try and sort some kind of safety measure. If I didn't have either the time or the money I would settle for telling the cast NOT to throw stuff up in the air during rehearsals, and that if they hear a bang to look down and cover their faces with their hands. Information after all costs nothing and could save someone's sight.

True it isn't about a legal requirement but really about how YOU would feel if the unlikely happened; and one of the cast was showered with jagged glass.

Very guilty :( so if time and budget allows I will investigate a length of chicken wire from B&Q, however I'm sure in my own mind that should this be omitted the chances of damage to the tube while performers are on stage is very minimal due to the lack of props/set (aside from a giant TARDIS) so it's off to beg to the director for some wire!

Thanks for your help everyone,

Matt

*now off to hope the Cybermen glow under UV........* :(

Archived