On The Book, In The Rain - How To Keep Dry?!

Hi All,

I've begun a new job as Stage Manager for two outdoor productions this summer, and true to form, Manchester is being quite wet and drizzly. So far we've been rehearsing in a lovely little studio theatre, but a brief stint in the park on Saturday shows us what we're in for. The weather may improve by production week, and hopefully glorious sunshine for the run, but for now it's cold and rainy, and I'm on the book with blocking and prompting.

So, my question to you all is, what's the best way of keeping the book (and myself?) dry in rehearsals? What have other people done in these situations? The performance moves through the park, so we're only in one location for a few hours at most. I've already got a small checklist to take with me, but feel free to add more suggestions. I've dug out an old nylon parasol umbrella for the beach which I thought about taking along and putting up, but it is rather ostentatious, and I prefer to keep a lower key! I've already sussed I'll need my fold up chair and a couple of pegs to keep the pages of The Book down. (The Book is in a ring binder and I use pencil as everything is subject to change.)

Also on the list are:

Waterproof trousers and jacket

Thermos

Walking boots (it gets very muddy)

Insect repellent

Spare change of everything in the car

Much obliged for input guys!

Ros x

Manchester is being quite wet

You have a talent for understatement. :)

Possibly a bit overpriced for what it is, but might this be any good to you?

There are also waterproof notebooks available, eg: clicky

No mention of a hat on your kitlist - I generally find a broad-brimmed hat is better than a hood in the rain, particularly as I wear specs most of the time. I'm a fan of Tilley hats, but they're a silly price and there are cheaper alternatives that are nearly as good.

If you're out in the park tomorrow, I'd suggest leaving your folding chair behind and taking a boat instead...

Good luck.

I vote fishing umbrella!

Try a walking shop and look for map keeper-dryers (oh I'm blessed with technical terms!). They may well do the job inbetween shows.

Otherwise, cut the pages narrow and then laminate so when you hole punch, you punch pure plastic, not paper and plastic. This way the paper is fully sealed in and won't leak through the punch holes, then chinograph or for the permenant queues, a small permenant marker.

Rather you than me!

A few thoughts.

Clip on torch particularly as the nights start to draw in towards the end of August.

Umbrellas are really tricky as you run out of hands.

If you need a chair at each site have one preset so you don't have to carry one but you may find it easier to stand.

If it is warm and wet wear shorts instead of waterproof trousers and then dry your legs.

Unless it is really windy the pegs are a pain if you are trying to turn pages.

Ah! Much appreciated guys, thanks :-) Unfortunately, the budget doesn't stretch to laminating, so I opted for plastic wallets, upside down, keeping the open edge towards me so I could try and add additional things if needed on other bits of paper....

And then it rained

And rained, and rained, and hasn't really stopped since! My book is soggy and I ended up writing everything in a note book anyway. The brolly was turned inside out in a matter of seconds, but the chair did prove useful. It was so wet and cold, at least the actors had some running about to do! I think the key thing I should add to my first list is a thermos of hot water for coffee and cuppa soup. I know it's nearly July, but if this keeps up I'll be wearing thermals and my wooly hat. Oooh, and wind-burn on my face, that's an interesting one! Act two is not in the dell, it's quite exposed, so we get the full gazumpah o' the wind right across.

Hoping to be off book soon so I can go do risk assessments and all manner of props list for the coming weeks. We won't be returning to this play for 3 weeks, so I just hope the notes I've got are detailed enough to remember who goes where when with what! Next week, new play, slightly smaller cast, possibly similar weather problems. Am packing the dingy for Saturday and hoping the ring road doesn't flood.

Ros xx

Possibly a bit overpriced for what it is, but might this be any good to you?

There are also waterproof notebooks available, eg: clicky

I agree, fab items and probably just what I need, but there's just no budget for that kind of malarky. I don't think it's seen as that necessary, so soggier alternatives will have to do... :D

As an open air veteran - notes with a sharpie, and keep the layout of your script the same, so when the type dissolves then you know where the notes are.

For the actual calling of the show its best to learn the book, also because when you are running around after kids who are trying to invade then you need to know whats going on without the trusty folder. Also its just another thing to get wet, especially if you are wandering around.

One of my most fabulous tools, apart from the standard clippy LEDs and insect repellent is a pair of leg warmers. Throw them over your hikers and the bottom of your jeans to stop water and midgies getting to your ankles. Even if you look like the kids from FAME then you'll be smug when everyone else is itching.

Anything else I can help with PM me.

Good luck!

XXX

Thanks for all the great advice - after two weeks of pretty much constant rain we had an almost completely dry day - but not before I completely laminated the second script! Been very useful this week, I feel a twinge of glee when it tips it down and my pages are impervious. Sharpies are a godsend, I'm using CD marker ones with an ultra fine nib from WHSmiths. Waterproofs and midgie spray have come in useful, here's hoping for better weather next week! It's been an experience, and we've 6 weeks to go!

Ros xx

• 3 weeks later...

I did an outdoor production of The Tempest a few years ago - we performed for four weeks on the headland in Tynemouth! We were quite fortunate with rain as any that we did have wasn't too heavy but the wind was, at times quite wild. I kept my pages down by using thick elastic stitched into a loop on either side of my ringbinder. Also, gloves were a necessity as the nights began to draw in as it was quite chilly when I was standing gripping onto my book! We also managed to aquire ffrom the local council some of the thich luminous workmens jackets and they were so warm it was fantastic!

:)

Archived