Running sound from laptop

Harvey_51

R click the speaker in the tray, adjust audio properties, change the "Sound Scheme" to no sounds.

Then deal with the poor sound quality from the lappy, unless you are lucky, and/or use an external sound card.

And get ready to reach for a ground loop isolator to get rid of SMPSU noise (it's that horrible whine you're now hearing through your speakers if you plugged a laptop with a noisy PSU into your PA)

R click the speaker in the tray, adjust audio properties, change the "Sound Scheme" to no sounds.

Also a good idea to save the current profile first, so you can reuse it at a later date!

And get ready to reach for a ground loop isolator to get rid of SMPSU noise (it's that horrible whine you're now hearing through your speakers if you plugged a laptop with a noisy PSU into your PA)

Hmm...Dell d610 anyone?

Windows Vista has the option of muting a paticular program or programs so you can mute windows sound just have sound running from winamp or WMP or whatever you're going to be using. I have vista on my laptop and the extra speaker options it has are quite impressive.

I've recently moved my partners backing tracks from Minidisc onto a laptop. 1st gig we did I thought there was something wrong all the static coming from the speakers. Get round the problem now buy running the laptop on batteries, luckily our laptop is the same as my work one so I have 4 batteries for gigs. Will look into the isolator though.

Jason

Hello guys n' gallz

I work full-time in a pretty big venue as the foh engineer doing mixes shows etc.

We get quite a few bands duo acts whatever you want to call them!! 7 days a week.

All I can say is that pc, laptops, ipod etc are all unreliable formats. If you want a show to got down with no hitches, hums, clicks and pops then as Han Solo said "Theres no match for a good Minidisc at your side"

Yes! minidisc do fail sometimes but FCUK ME 10,0000 time less than a laptop.

Pc's are quick convenient and lazzy, but if your into sound and production and not just the money then take the time to get good backing tracks with good recording levels and some decent Minidiscs!

If you really feel the need to be at the for-front of technology with you touring circle show then buy yourself a DI box!

Oh yeah another little dig at duo's and unworthy working mens club acts, CHANGE YOU BLOODY RADIO MIC BATTERIES!!!!

Sorry had to get that one in!!

Peace out Musicians!!

I love you all, you crack me up on a daily basic with your Twirly ways!!

Oh! The Drama!

While the lappy seems a universal tool, it is only as good as the setting up and software! Also there are many pieces of sound hardware ten years old but few laptops still in current service that old. Also Vista can be a challenge for pro audio if it doesn't like something it will uninstall it for you, especially anything considered "insecure".

• 3 weeks later...

Laptops have the potential to work, but as pointed out are only as good as the software. From a personal point of view I suggest making sure you are totally confident with the software before using it for a show, and make sure you have software fit for purpose! There are lots of different bits of software some alot more advanced than others, so choose carefully. And an external sound card is a must!

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

James

Archived