Strand Mini 2 rack

timtheenchanteruk

We have at work a Strand Mini 2 (V-old, but worked ok till today) one of the channels has developed a fault whereby it will come full on at any given moment. the fault definitely lies within the rack, as it still does it, even with the desk and control cables disconnected, the fault also rectifies itself with a well placed bash!

a couple of questions;

Does anyone know if the internals are the same as the mini2+, which is so-far the only diagram I could find, the strand site only mentions they are not identical in appearance, and doesn't mention internals.

Any Ideas of what is causing the problem, Im thinking at the moment its a dry solder joint somewhere, any common areas to look?

last one, Is it safe to use the rack with one card removed,, ie is each one completely separate, or will the rack need removing whilst its being repaired (as I have a feeling it will)

It's probably the preset pots on the channel PCB. Make a careful note of their position and then turn them end to end a few time before returning to the original setting. DO NOT use switch cleaner on them.

The only difference that I am aware of between the two units was the position of the fuses, one had the fuses all bunched together on the front towards the right hand side, the other had the fuse holder on the actual dimmer module, I'm not sure which is which, but the one with the fuses by the sockets were electrically identical to the 'Permus 12' units Other than the sockets and the frame, the modules were interchangable.

As far I can tell without looking at the installation the rack will be happy to run with a module out of the rack (I know of a Permus that ran with only 11 modules for years) , the problem will be securing the wires that are disconnected from the module (live supply, trigger cables etc.) and covering the hole that gets left in the rack, i.e. you can't leave the rack in a position to expose live parts.

Archived