Heatshrink

waster

I'm wanting to makeup some insert looms. I've been looking on Farnell and I can't seem to find the heatshrink I'm after, it has a sticky/glue inside? Am also unsure what diameter Braiding to use on the cables, planing on using vandamme blueseries multicore cable.

Thanks

are these for touring style use or for semi/permanent installation?

the van damme blue series (which I believe is studio grade) doesn't like being coiled and uncoiled and soon develops kinks n twist which you cant get out making it ever harder to coil.

if it will be coiled/uncoiled regularly I would suggest the black series tour grade as this is much more erm... hardcore (? its late) and can withstand the coiling cycles.

Andy

I've used both Blue and Black series multicore from VDC and to be honest they both work fine for things like insert looms. The Black version I would use for actual multicore runs as they are harder wearing.

The question about heatshrink from the OP reminds me of a question I have. VDC supply the cables with heatshrink on them for you to then put your identifcation labels under. Question is, how do you heatshrink it? What do you use that produces enough heat to shrink it without damaging the cable?

Adam

have you tryed ebay? as there are lots of listings for heat shrink. although you should find that normal heat shrink will grip the cable enough to hold itself in place as well as the braiding. I have used this technique on several of my cables and had no problems. if you are that worried that the sleeving will slip use lacing cord with clove hitch. you may get away with cotten cord if you have no lacing cord.

I would suggest using non-adhesive heat shrink for the actual tails and a length of adhesive lined to cover the end of the main sheath say 100mm, extending over the fan out by another 100mm. Although this results in a stiff bulge it stops the heatshrink on the individual tails from creeping.

Brian

Just for reference, VCD also sell the pliosil braid and heatshrink that they use in their own manufacturing. You can probably get the same stuff cheaper elsewhere - such as CPC/RS - but you can be sure that it is the type that does the job.

Steve

Archived