Source 4 36 or Source 4 Jr reviews

Lukeharnett

and I find 36's to have the worst optics of all the S4 range.

This suprises me; I have been a user of Source Four for about ten years now and the 36 is a great fixture when properly tuned. If the lamp housing gets out of alignment, then you can run into poor optics (seeing the lens clips in the field, hilation on shutter cuts), but I'd say 90% of the time these can be remidied with 5 minutes "resetting" the back-cap.

I'd say for the S4 line, the worst optic award goes to the 50 degree jr.

One thing to consider is that the jr's take a "non-standard" pattern size, and the shutter assembly does not rotate (although the shutters in the jr do have quite a bit of flexibility (until they come out of their plane and have to be finessed back in)).

-w

but I'd say 90% of the time these can be remidied with 5 minutes "resetting" the back-cap.

One thing to consider is that the jr's take a "non-standard" pattern size, and the shutter assembly does not rotate (although the shutters in the jr do have quite a bit of flexibility (until they come out of their plane and have to be finessed back in)).

-w

I can't say I've ever managed to get a 36 anywhere near the beam quality of a 26 or 19, no matter how much resetting of the back cap .

Also yes the Jr's take an M size gobo. This is becoming a common size, Selecon Pacific 12/28's use it too.

I can't say I've ever managed to get a 36 anywhere near the beam quality of a 26 or 19

Not near? I'll grant you that; but you did say "worst...of all...S4", which is what I was disagreeing with.

-w

You will notice a slight difference with the 36 degree unit as there are two lenses in the barrel. This is going to slightly effect the output, in a dirty venue you may find the output worsen as there are two lenses to get dirty.

The Jr. would be a fine lantern if it weren't for the fact that, after a while, the yokes start to have trouble tightening properly, then eventually give out altogether (or maybe we just got a bad batch!).

For what it's worth, ours are two years old now, re-rigged every other week or so and we have had no trouble with the yokes. As long as you have an iris handy, they are probably my handiest lanterns.

The Jr. would be a fine lantern if it weren't for the fact that, after a while, the yokes start to have trouble tightening properly, then eventually give out altogether (or maybe we just got a bad batch!).

Possibly a bad batch (we recently received a bad lot of PARs that ETC will be swapping out at no cost to us); we had some fixtures that the tightening handle started to get sticky and eventually locked up. We bought a dozen replacement handles and bolts to have on hand. And it's few and far between when it happens, but there's something wrong with the yoke handles that ETC has not sorted out entirely (IMO).

My two bits: get some replacements (both bolts and handles) and keep them all to yourself, and then when they show even the slightest bit of difficulty, get rid of 'em!

-w

Archived