Robe Spot 150xt fault

Robertwatson

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has heard of this fault.

My robe 150xt's lamps keep dying.

At First I thought it was a dodgy DMX program I'd done where I'd programmed them to turn lamps off but it isnt. Ive tried them on a different desk also and same problems. Any ideas?

At First I thought it was a dodgy DMX program I'd done where I'd programmed them to turn lamps off but it isnt. Ive tried them on a different desk also and same problems. Any ideas?

What exactly do you mean by dying? Are they permanently dying and need replacing frequently?

Do the lights have magnetic ballasts? Are they tweakable?

I know that Martin's Macs have different tapping settings depending on voltage/frequency etc... I don't know the fixture but you might like to check that the unit is set (somehow) to the right voltage/frequency/locale settings...?

HTH

What exactly do you mean by dying? Are they permanently dying and need replacing frequently?

Do the lights have magnetic ballasts? Are they tweakable?

I know that Martin's Macs have different tapping settings depending on voltage/frequency etc... I don't know the fixture but you might like to check that the unit is set (somehow) to the right voltage/frequency/locale settings...?

HTH

They down power then once they've cooled down they strilke again.

have the fans on your Robe 150xt 's been replaced , using computer grade fans ??(same voltage and size but only 30% of the airflow of the original spec fans) - this will cause the unit to run for 30 mins on , then 30 off, then 20 on , then 30 off and so on ( timings depend on airflow achieved !!). The lamp housing has 2 fans ... 1 for the lamp , and 1 to keep the stepper motors cool. there is 1 fan in the base to cool the ballast and electronics ... also as has been mentioned before - check the unit is set for 240v -not 230v .

• 2 weeks later...

Well the motors were the official ones sent from robe themselves. It has only started happening since I changed the steppers in the shutter & colour. PLus while doing this I did the modification as the motors didnt have the fan on them before. As told and shown by robe.

Changed lamps for philips offical cdm lamps and still doing it.

Not sure that the desk would make any difference. It sounds more like an overheating problem. When you fitted the fan did you make sure it was facing the right way? It does make a difference...

I'm not questioning your abilities, but putting a fan in backwards is both easy to do, and easy to miss that you've done it.

Sounds like a faulty thermastatic device, lamp sensor,does the unit show any error codes?

As far as im aware the 150/160's dont have any remote lamp functions or settings, so they only have strike upon power, (lamp strikes when you power the fixture on). So im guessing the thermastat is as fault.

Contact nathan or martyn at ROBE UK, they are very helpfull and should give you all the suport you need.

best of look with the outcome

Not sure that the desk would make any difference.

Reason I asked is if its only be tested from something along the lines of a two presetter it may be possible that the reset channel/level is there.

Maybe not such a problem if being used by something that works from personalitys.

Not sure that the desk would make any difference.

Reason I asked is if its only be tested from something along the lines of a two presetter it may be possible that the reset channel/level is there.

Maybe not such a problem if being used by something that works from personalitys.

Well the desk is a martin xciter but they strike from power up they dont have a remote switch off. Thank you for the advice I will give them a call.

Many thanks

the 150 and 160s dont have remote lamp funtions like I have said above, so its impossible to take the lamp out via DMX, there is a reset comand on the fixtures, but it only resets the mechanical aspects, like the pan, tilt, colour ect.

It doesnt turn off the lamp in this process.

They are automatic, the lamp will only go out if the fixtures computer tells it too, in the case of lamp damage or if the fixture overheats through fan fault.

Check that all the fans are working, if so then it is the thermastat/lamp senor thats telling the fixture its to hot and turn of the lamp, when its cool enough again it will automacticaly strike the lamp again, this will keep happening, if the fixture thinks its too hot.

so its a thermastat fault!

does the display show 'HEAT'?

again ring robe and tell them your fault im sure they will confirm this

the 150 and 160s dont have remote lamp funtions like I have said above, so its impossible to take the lamp out via DMX, there is a reset comand on the fixtures, but it only resets the mechanical aspects, like the pan, tilt, colour ect.

It doesnt turn off the lamp in this process.

They are automatic, the lamp will only go out if the fixtures computer tells it too, in the case of lamp damage or if the fixture overheats through fan fault.

Check that all the fans are working, if so then it is the thermastat/lamp senor thats telling the fixture its to hot and turn of the lamp, when its cool enough again it will automacticaly strike the lamp again, this will keep happening, if the fixture thinks its too hot.

so its a thermastat fault!

does the display show 'HEAT'?

again ring robe and tell them your fault im sure they will confirm this

No the display just gives the DMX addy like normal.

thank you ill call them

• 2 months later...

If the lamps go out, the Robe 150s dont necessarily show an error, they simply cut power to the lamp. This happens either becuase the overtemp stat has cutout (it resets when its cooled) or the lamp has extinguished due to ageing (it will also restart when cool).

Make sure the air cooling path is scrupulously clean and that the fan is the correct one and free to rotate. (and indeed does rotate!). As previously mentioned, PC fans are not suitable, they are high-speed fans in the Robes.

Archived