BBC work

Hey, I am considering doing a 1 week work experince with the BBC in London if I get shortlisted. The work experience will be for lighting. The only snag is that I live in Reading wich is a fair bit from london if I am to travel each day. Just wondering if I should push ahead with these ideas and go for it or if it is not worth it? Has anybody been for work experience with them and what is it like because I havnt a clue. I have been on the site wich proved quite usefull.

cheers

jon

I'd never knock any work experience, espically with a company as well known and recognised as them all over the world.

Sometimes you have to make short term losses (money/time etc) for long term gain.

I'd go for it. And it doesn't take long on the fast train from Reading -> Paddington.

Stu

Yer your rite. The only thing is I'm still only 15 and my rents wouldnt like me goin 2 and from london everyday on my own etc etc. They both work full time so thats another snag. I sooo wana go for it this year because when I apply for more casual work etc I can have BBC on my CV. I'm goin to have to find a way 2 get there and back without allot of hastle.

cheers

jon

I was going to London by myself before I was 15, so convincing your olds shouldn't be too much of a problem - just present yourself to be mature etc etc and I'm sure they'll be ok with it. Esp if you highlight exactly HOW much you want to do it!

Stu

go for it they are a gr8 name to have on your CV.

Although they have annoyed me in the past.

They booked the large venue next to ours for a songs of praise and when they booked it they said they wouldnt be using any radio mics, we then verifyed that with the sound op when he arrived, half way through our show and through the PA comes a sound check on a UHF frequency from next door this went out over the PA to the 1,000 people there, we wernt impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

when I applied for mine I had to wait a good couple of months for a reply, so don't panic if it takes a while.

If you get it, enjoy it. I was quite fortunate to end up doing TOTP, Later with Jools, and the rigging for these. We had a really good laugh and I learnt sooo much. I also got to opp the follow spot, for VT on TOTP.

Archived