upcoming gig

oxogoxo

hi.have a small gig coming up soon im required to do sound for a spanish guitarist/vocalist and I believe a percussionist using bongos or similar.the gig will be an outdoor gig weather dependant .any tips re.mics to use ,set up on desk .wouldnt have experience working with these performers before.thanks .

Hello

Flamenco/Spanish guitars are nylon string, so a decent condenser (Shure SM81, Neuman 184 etc etc there are many) pointed towards the higher frets but not directly at the soundhole (Flamenco can sometimes involve percussive guitar slapping) should cover the guitar. Likewise on the percussion, a decent condenser about a foot away should do well. A dynamic will also work should you not have any condensers, but will the mic will need to be closer. Vocal mic depends completely on the singer, but you can always rely on a good ol' SM58 for most singers.

Very important for outdoor gigs is to remember pop shields (those foam things you see on the end of mics) to eliminate wind noise, especially on condensers.

Simon

Hello

Flamenco/Spanish guitars are nylon string, so a decent condenser (Shure SM81, Neuman 184 etc etc there are many) pointed towards the higher frets but not directly at the soundhole (Flamenco can sometimes involve percussive guitar slapping) should cover the guitar. Likewise on the percussion, a decent condenser about a foot away should do well. A dynamic will also work should you not have any condensers, but will the mic will need to be closer. Vocal mic depends completely on the singer, but you can always rely on a good ol' SM58 for most singers.

Very important for outdoor gigs is to remember pop shields (those foam things you see on the end of mics) to eliminate wind noise, especially on condensers.

Simon

Thanks everyone.I have a meeting with the event management soon and the musician will be there too so I will chat with him then.Thanks for all the great advice as usual .I dont think its placido domingo so I wont lose to much sleep between now and then .

Did a gig tonight where he was using a guitar, and I had to cut nearly all the top end out to get it sounding right, because acoustic guitars can be very piercing when amplified.

Thanks for that I will keep it in mind .

er.... I think you mean wind shield.

pop shield:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/87f4429b0769d0261743e319fb44be7e.jpg

wind shield:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/images/shieldwindsheild.s.jpg

sound on sound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec04/arti...6.htm?print=yes

Archived