Microphone selection

James_Lyons

Ok I'm doing an upgrade to a installed PA system, one thing I've been asked to supply is a suitable microphone to be used for poetry readings. The readings consists of a straight line of people all talking at once, due to funding problems only one microphone can be used for this (of course I appreciate how far from ideal this is) However I'm at a loss as to what I should supply. The mic will be mounted on a stand which is to be moved around (probably whilst the mic is still on). At the moment I'm considering using a rifle(shotgun) mic. What are your thought/suggestions for this situation?

James

Perhaps you'd like to explain your thinking behind a rifle mic? You do realise that will be extremely directional, don't you? Also, as poets won't be trained in microphone technique, there's a fair bet some of them might just hold the mic and forget to point it at their mouth. If that did happen, the last thing you'd want would be a rifle mic, surely?

I would say 100% NOT a shotgun - of any kind. They are great tools, but have one real problem, they need to be aimed - letting the people reading do it is a recipe for disaster. Some questions though - they have to be in a straight line - ok, but they all talk at once, or one after the other? If they really do talk at once, then you have a real problem. With a mic per pair (a typical cardioid at 300-450mm ish) you might do it. Budget wise, even multiple really cheap mics are better than any attempt to share one, especially if people are going to be grabbing it and thrusting it around - horrible noises will be almost guaranteed!

If there really is no way anything other than a single mic is possible, then can you get them in a semi-circle, then a pre-set boom mic can be swung beteen people - less noisy and they just have to swing it to themselves in turn.

A straight line, and one mic is going to be pretty poor, and not something you'll be able to make sound good - the volume and tonal differences with these different distances will be a real downer.

If it is poetry, then hearing the words clearly is the whole point of the reading - if they wish to compromise the delivery, then explain this is what will happen - maybe along the lines of "It's a shame you haven't got the budget to be able to let people hear the words, but never mind, I'm sure some of it will be ok..." It's up to them, then!

The microphone is to be placed on a stand and left still during the reading but will be moved around the venue as the locations of the reading are likely to change on a weekly basis.

My thinking behind a rifle mic is best explained by this diagram

http://a374.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/38/l_21e48fc35189f762f4fd8c9387320425.gif

Thanks for the replies, James

Edit to include -

Budget is under £200 and unfortunately due to current infrastructure the use of more then one microphone would be very difficult.

there's a fatal flaw here. moving the rifle mic to a distance where it will 'see' all the people means that it is further away than a standard cardioid. This means you need more gain than the cardioid a little closer in. The rifle will sound 'thinner' than the cardioid, so if it were me, I'd use a cardioid, and forget the rifle - they are also much, much uglier!

I would really try and keep away from shotgun mike's what I would do if I could only use one channel into the recording device is use a matched pair of some sort ( I would recommend the rode nt5's Nt5's-Thomann but their just over your budget however there are a lot of cheaper options out there by behringer or t-bone but of course your dropping in quality) I would the run those 2 outputs into a small desk and then take a mono output into the recorder, since the mikes are matched you shouldn't have any balancing issues. I don't know if this is possible or if someone disagrees but thats what I would recommend

Thanks

Jon

What does the rest of the PA consist of? How many people? Your diagram shows four is this the actual number or just a representation?

Why are multiple mics a problem? With a budget of £200 a small mixer and some cheap vocal mics might be a better option than a single mic.

The system is 100V line powered from a combined mixer and amplifier which is located about 40m from the "stage" there is only one space channel in the mixer and only one space XLR run. System is around 300W and used for CD playback and sound reinforcement, audience of around 180 max.

Thanks for you replies, James

Edited to include -

There is unlikly to be more then 4 people reading in one go.

For two identical mics a y cord would work fine, no mixer should be required, as long as the mixer/amp can supply enough current on phantom for both mics.

Which neatly brings me on to the next question, can this mixer amp provide phantom?

If it's a 100v line system fed from a mixer amp with only a few inputs, I'm guessing the quality of sound is hardly "CD quality". In which case, paying £200 for a mic seems rather like buying a top of the range hifi system to play back a cassette tape you dug up from the 70s which has been sitting next to a magnet ever since. (I may be exagerating there, but you get my point, I'm sure!).

2 x £80 cardioid dynamic mics plus a £10 Y-splitter will do a much better job, enabling you to get the mics closer to the performers, thus picking up a better signal and giving a better sound without the need for phantom power. You'd even get £30 change! :)

Thanks for the replies, my thinking behind a more expensive microphone was not really concerning fidelity but more towards durability, reduction of noise when being handled and reliability (as it is to be used by "unskilled" people)

Yes mixer amp can provide phantom (individually switched on each channel)

James

Archived