Jem Glaciators

damian1501

I don't know the max usable length, but I do know that on long ducting runs the smoke can condense inside the ducting and cause the fluid to run down the pipe, so drip trays are normally needed; and every few shows its worth draining the pipe of fluid.

I worked on a show a few weeks ago which was using a smoke machine (don't remember the make, just that it was a small unit) and there was some ducting approx 4" in diameter running across a flat stage behind the scenery for about 20 feet.

Of course, the fan in the smoke machine was no where near powerful enough to push the smoke along the ducting so I found an old computer fan, hooked it up to a 9 volt power supply, and made up a cowl out of cardboard, gaffer tape, and tie-wraps and attached the whole lot to the ducting. The fan was more than powerful enough to keep the smoke moving and prevent a build up of residue in the duct.

I'm not sure what effect such a setup would have on fog. I assume you are trying to keep it fairly low to the ground? If so then keep the fan speed quite low or you may end up dispersing the fog too much. Thats part of the reason I ran my fan at 9 volts instead of 12. It made too much noise flat out, and fired the smoke out in a jet. A nice effect, but not what we were looking for.

Edit: Heres a pic of what I built. The fan was running constantly, and there was a gap between the smoke machine and the box to maintain the airflow :

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/gyro_gearloose/Smokemacingducting.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect gyro the smoke generated by a Glaciator is a significantly different beast to normal smoke. The use of a fan to propel the output will result in the low lying effect being lost extremly quickly, a small draft can be enough to disturb it!

As for the length of ducting, well it pretty much goes without saying that the shorter the hose the better the effect, I certainly wouldn't reccomend any more than 3 metres and still have a useable effect. Drip trays are also a good idea.

With all due respect gyro the smoke generated by a Glaciator is a significantly different beast to normal smoke. The use of a fan to propel the output will result in the low lying effect being lost extremly quickly, a small draft can be enough to disturb it!

I thought it might, so I've got a few more ideas! Do away with the fan, mount the glaciator up high, and let gravity do its thing. The fog should be guided to wherever you need it by the ducting. Or just use the largest ducting you can find with a really, really slow fan. Experiment a bit, if you've got the time.

Do away with the fan, mount the glaciator up high, and let gravity do its thing.

Not the easiest thing to do with a machine which weighs 110Kg without fluid and is almost a metre in length with no flying capabilities.

I worked on a show where a glaciator xstream was positioned substage and its ouput was ducted up through stage floor, with the opening being about 9 inches off the deck.

Worked fine, though some residue built up on the floor below the output, and required cleaning every few shows.

The glaciators have a fair push on the output.

The Glaciator/Xtream have been designed from the outset as low smoke machines. They have an adjustable density (height) control (where low is low density ie high 'smoke') and a fan with 20 speed settings.

The hose diameter is 150mm - do not use anything smaller - and the hose as supplied is used for central heating installs ie it will keep the contents of the pipe cooler longer. Don't use a bit of cheap plastic hose you happen to have lying around.

I know of customers who have used pipe runs in excess of 6 metres, and this includes rises of 2 metres, with what they tell me were very acceptable results.

If you want to know more about the Glaciator you can down load the full manual from www.gradav.co.uk.

• 3 weeks later...

I duct smoke from a glaciator out of a two way splitter I had made over 2.5 meters up and over the drum riser and have not had a problem and I don't use a fan because the output (even set at 8) pushes the smoke thro the ducting.

PS you didn't pay £400 for the adaptor for the machine did you?

Archived