Lithium AA Cells for Radio Mics

Solstace

Here's a thought...

I'm about to put in my regular order for a load of Pro-cell AA's (I've never trusted anything else) for our EW300 G2 radios, and I'm looking at their claimed 2100mAh capacity and thinking... "There must be higher capacity cells out there?".

So having seen several friends having a really good time using Energizer L19 Lithium AA cells in their digital cameras in place of standard AA's, I wonder whether anyone's tried them in radio mics and seen any improvement in either overall battery life and/or reliability?

In an industry that tends towards a "New set for every show" mentality, the overall battery life might not be a concern, but in an age of environmental awareness I can't help but think that anything we can do to reduce the number of cells disposed of each year can't be a bad thing!

Having had the experience of a couple of NiMH batteries go into meltdown, I'm still not happy to trust such rechargeable cells for this kind of use just yet... :P :D

...8 hours out of a set of 2

Hmmm...

I'm sure I've had much more than that out of Procells...

Are you talking 8 hours before it's down to 2 bars on the display, or 8 hours before the mic stops working altogether?

Ah - that makes much more sense! :P

Thing is for us, 8 hours "Safe" working time out of these can represent a whole day or week's worth of "performance time", so if it works out in terms of cost then I might be up for doing that...

Anyone else got any reliable figures for total run-time, for both procells and lithiums to see if the benefits would stand up?

I've trialled Varta Charge n Go NiMH ones in our EW300 G2s and love them. They are really hard to find now for some reason, but they last 6/7 hrs easy and really do take 15 minutes to recharge in their special charger. If anyone can find a supplier, please let me know. Having had such success on teh trial I want to get more but can't.

Sadly some idiot threw one pair away with a load of alkaline AA so I'm down to my last pair :P

A mate of mine tried rechargables on his last show, and loved them.

On two show days he needed about six hours of power and there were no problems. He just charged them every other show.

Caveat - this was only for about twenty shows over four weeks for about a dozen packs, so not exactly a massive demonstrator, but it was a good few boxes of AAs not on their way to the landfill.

Good currenr recargeables usually work fine and for a good duration - the best (and most expensive) ones may out perform primary cells.

It is vital that all the cells are controlled! They must be kept, and charged, and circulated. and you must have confidence that the ones issued for use are fully charged.

Archived