EW300 G1 Receiver, odd display behaviour

ben.suffolk

Guys,

I turned on my EW300 receivers the other day (all working fine when turned off), and found that one of them was showing full AF signal as soon as the mic was turned on. I thought that was a bit odd, but as I was setting up for the event didn't have time to worry about it, I just used a spare receiver.

On much investigation it turns out that the unit has put its self in a slightly odd display mode. The RF display is showing signal strength of the A receiver and the AF display is showing signal strength of the B receiver. I figure this out by connecting only 1 of the antennas and switching between the A & B socket.

I can't find anything in the menus about this display, or how to revert it back to normal. I guess its either a feature of the EW500's (after all I suspect its pretty much the same hardware, just partly disabled firmware) or some engineering test mode. I have no idea how it got in this mode, like I said it was fine before it was switched off the last time.

Did I miss something in the menu's, or does anybody know how to reset this receiver back to normal?

Regards

Ben

I don't use many Sennheiser radio mics, but somewhere is the middle distance of my mind I'm sure I recall this is a 'proper' display option for some models. It's also the case that on some units certain menu options can only be adjusted after turning the unit on whilst holding the 'SET' button down. Sorry that my recollection is a bit hazy, but it might give you something else to try before the rather more expensive option of returning it.

I did try various power on options to see if I could find any hidden menus, I noticed that powering it on with the up and down buttons pressed puts it into some engineering mode, but nothing happens after that. I assume you need it connected to a PC, as all buttons are then locked out (inc the power button).

I'll try with the set button, but I would expect it was one of the options I tried.

The audio out is fine on it, so its probably not worth the price of sending it back anyway.

Regards

Ben

• 4 months later...

Looking at P78 of the G2 manual ("setting the standard display") it appears that there is an alternate display mode which displays the 2 RF levels rather than RF+AF. Apart from an A being changed to a R, the displays look very similar. The various displays can be changed via the "display" menu.

Of course, this is for a G2 receiver, not a G1...

Archived