Optical Fibre

Andy!

You need to have a light source which has a socket for the end of the fibre optic loom to plug into. This uses a standard bulb and directs the light down the fibres.

Depending on the bulb, this can often be plugged straight into a dimmer.

Some models have a plasticy disc on a motor between the lamp and the fibre optics... it is made of clear plastic, but has black lines on it and as it spins - because of the absence of light where the black lines are it makes a twinkle effect

I have seen one of those used in a star curtain type effect, looked pretty cool, it was DMX controlled and I think it had CMY colour mixing, but I am not shure.

whatever it was it was ace.... I WANT ONE!

You should try out one of the new led star clothes. Used one at panto alot better than the old pea light ones and the fibre optic ones. The led one uses 4 DMX channels and you can prograham the twinklels and brightness your self. And they dont hang like a bag of mince like some of the fibre optic ones we have had in the past. they are about £150- £200 a week for 30' by 16'

• 2 months later...
OK does anyone know the best place to get one of these, as my local hiring compnay does not seem to have them. Also what is the material that is used for the light to travel down?

Acre Jean, Par Opti, or S+H rigging(www.starcloth.c ) comr to mind. The fibres are glass and they are fragile if they break the pinpoints go dark, they cannot be rapaired. Polymer (PMMA) fibre may not comply with fire retardency spec. the pealight still looks good and can be re-lamped as reqd. LEDs -- price the controller before going too far down that route.

Archived