SMPTE to DMX

Just checking the manual, but is not the Jands Vista an option? Not ever used one myself, but the manual lists SMTPE use, it operates using a timeline interface and can be run on a laptop.

The S3 would be an option, but might be a bit of a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' in this application.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to make my usual recommendation to look at LightFactory ....

.... if the Adrienne Electronics USB or PCI timecode hardware is suitable. (LightFactory Hardware)

LightFactory does not try to emulate a Lighting console, but tries to offers a more intuitive windows interface, so should be perfect for your more graphical interface requirements.

LightFactory also has support for the Capture Console Edition which should also help with your programming in the office!

Regards,

Paul

• 4 years later...

Having been doing exactly what you are talking about for many years, here's my take on the comments posted.

The best option is the Cueserver from Interactive Technologies. It takes direct MTC in, has DMX, MIDI, contact closures (in and out). I have 7 running an interactive exhibit, and have not had one fail yet. Web server control, local network or remote log in. No software to install to operate. Check it out.

Alcorn Mcbride is my next choice. Similar features to the Cueserver, but a little more expensive.

The Bluelite can crash at the most inconvenient times. It's a good unit when it works, but...

The Jands Vista does accept SYMPTE, BUT you must have at least an S1 playback wing or higher to get the SYMPTE feature.

The MOTU units aren't really geared towards direct DMX control. They also tend to lose their soft patch when the internal battery starts to fade.

I use all of the above units in one form or another. The Jands is great for larger shows with moving lights, LED's, etc. For everyday show control, the Cueserver is excellent!

Hope this helps!

The Bluelite can crash at the most inconvenient times. It's a good unit when it works

Hi,

I've used Bluelite for a very long time and have found it very stable and reliable. The SMPTE sync is rock solid. There is a load of stuff going on with Bluelite at the moment and I'll try and get one of the new guys involved to come on here and talk about it. But just to say I've always been very pleased with bluelite.

Also the X1 Mini can do SMPTE:

The X1 Mini inlcudes the full BlueLite software suite, plus a compact USB interface with 1 DMX in, 1 DMX out, SMPTE I/O, and is RDM-ready. Now you can create an manage professional-quality shows at a grassroots cost.

Which is only $399

Regards

Chris

Moderation: May I just point out to all concerned that you're replying to a 4 year old topic? Since the information is potentially useful to people using "search" in the future, I'll leave it open but please restrict things to genuine updates.

All of my shows use an element of SMPTE Control and have tried and used pretty much all the higher end consoles to run these shows. Pretty much all can do it sucessfully the big difference is the interface. Ranging from an avo where you have to type the code number for every cue to what I'm currently using MA2 which in my opinion has the perfect graphical timeline and control of trigger points.

MA2 Graphical Timeline shown here (works on SMTPE/MTC/Internal Generator/ Internal Date and Time)

http://www.grandma2.de/help/en-us/image/Ref_Window_Other_Timecode.png

You can click or touch any point or points and drag them around right from this window even during playback, it is very powerful!!

As for an MTC - SMTPE or SMTPE - MTC or SMTPE/MTC - USB again tried a whole bunch the best by far is the Rosendahl MIF4 its plug and go, rock solid and works with a huge level range. (I have run SMPTE over 200m without boosting and it worked perfectly for 100 + Shows.

http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.de/mif4_front.jpg

Ionfire e-mailed me the other day to alert me to this thread since I recently taken charge of the BlueLite X1 products.

As was mentioned, we're trying to finalize our latest update and re-energize BlueLite and the BlueLite community.

That being said, I just wanted to mention that the X1 (and the X1-Mini) actually 'lock' to the timecode (any SMPTE 'flavor') rather than just sampling it, which is why we see users refering to it as 'rock-solid'.

We also have our API available which allows users with programming skills, the ability to read/write SMPTE and/or control the X1 software, including the associated transport controls (play, stop, record, etc) programatically.

I was also concerned by Pyrowizard's comment regarding BlueLite crashing at inconvenient times since I've used it myself over the years without losing a show. As far as I know there are still BlueLite X1 units controlling the 'Fremont Street Experience' in downtown Las Vegas and I believe there are systems controlling at least the laser portions (I'm unsure of how much additional show control they have) for the LA Kings and American Idol.

If Pyrowizard (or anyonr else for that matter) is having problem with their BlueLite, feel free to contact me (info below) and I'll do my best to help solve your issues. I'd also heard rumors of an interactive activity or display at the London Trocadaro (I'd love to hear more about that if anyone' knows anything about it).

I did mention this 'threads' issues to the chief engineer who pointed out that the X1 was designed to accept a SMPTE in signal from a source located relatively close (physically) to the X1 hardware. Since the X1 does not amplify the SMPTE signal, if you're using a long run from the SMPTE source, you may need an isolation transformer to remove noise or boost the signal (forgive me if I've muddled together a couple of the engineers comments). Either way, we'd like to help solve any problems you may be having.

Thanx,

Craig

craig@limsc.co

www.lightinmotionshowcontrol.com

Archived