SMPTE to DMX

I've been asked for advice on how to synchronise a pre-programmed show to SMPTE time-code and am struggling to find an elegant and robust way to achieves this. There are only a small number of outputs required, maybe a dozen or so, and these will be controlled by DMX switch-packs. Budget should not be a problem, but given the small number of outputs required, a large lighting desk would seem to be a wasteful solution. The users would also prefer a more 'graphical' interface, preferably time-line based and the system also has to be portable. So I have been looking for something based on a laptop.

The closest solution I've found so far is the Sunlight software/interface (at least as far as I can tell from their website) and this, it seems, will present a show as a time-line and will synchronise to MIDI time-code. So all I then have to do is convert SMPTE to MTC and Bob's your uncle ...... it's just that then I've got to many boxes hanging off a laptop too many connectors and too many potential points of failure - it would probably work, but it's messy and could be prone to problems.

So my questions are; are there any users of Sunlight out there - what do you think of the product and its suitability in the scenario I've described; or is there a better solution, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Have you considered something like a Frog Box? Neat 19" rackmount job, no need to have a computer lying around for the task.

Having re-read my original post, I should probably make it clear that it not a single pre-programmed show, but will vary depending on the job in hand. What I was trying to say was that the show would be programmed in the office on each occasion before being taken out, hence the need for a graphical (easy to tweak) interface. So I don't think the Frog Box is really what I need here.

If money is no object, then the Dataton system might be worth a look.

Dataton

Having said that, the web site is a bit crap but I can put you in touch with a decent Dataton programmer who I'm sure would be happy to talk to you about it.

Cheers

KC

I think this is time to recommend (where is jjf when you need him!) Bluelite X1; Whereas any number of PC based products will operate of MTC, fewer have the ability to use SMPTE timecode directly, I think you need the $999 version Bluelite to get SMTPE interface though.

If you want to use a SMTPE / MIDI interface then the selection of products becomes easier. Even better, if you just want on-off control then you could use MIDI switchpacks and any show control application, and have an all MIDI setup. Loads of options. I have synced PCStage to SMPTE using a XR300 SMPTE converter, but I've had that box for many many years, they are eBay only these days ;) Oh look, heres one available Now!

I think this is time to recommend (where is jjf when you need him!) Bluelite X1; Whereas any number of PC based products will operate of MTC, fewer have the ability to use SMPTE timecode directly, I think you need the $999 version Bluelite to get SMTPE interface though.

I had given serious consideration to this product, even though it doesn't have the preferred 'time-line' interface. The problems were that it would be a pain in the butt to import but mainly that it doesn't support 25fps time-code. So near yet so far!

EDIT - just reread the X1 blurb, which now says that 25fps is supported. So it could be back in the frame!

one thing to watch out for with the MOTU units are they are very sensitive to the SMPTE signal level

Thanks very much for this, given the varying time-code sources that are likely to be encountered this is exactly the type of advice I need.

I don't think he is Andy, I think this is whats happening:

SMPTE Source > SMPTE to MTC box > laptop > DMX

Absolutely correct - and if I can find a way to lose the box in the middle, so much the better.

The main users of SMTPE are the show control community, rather than lightists, so might I suggest a Gilderfluke smart-brick system? Programmes with a PC, runs standalone, takes SMPTE directly, comes from a company with pedigree in this space.

Just checking the manual, but is not the Jands Vista an option? Not ever used one myself, but the manual lists SMTPE use, it operates using a timeline interface and can be run on a laptop.

Archived