cscs card

Ricky

But some of us are Electricians, and as such were registered under the old CIS card scheme. But we need to actually be electriciansto do that, and it is a different form of self employed to freelance, vouchers and tax being paid and all that, it's been four years since I did all that.

If work dries up, I'll be on a building site as a construction industry electrician.

Thanks all the reason I ask is because in the adverts there is an advert for lighting technicians preferably with a cscs card. And this confused me a bit as I was looking at these cscs cards and there is nothing on there remotely theatre related.

I would assume that the cscs is just one method of demonstrating competency. Theatre (as an industry) is a collection of many subsets of skills, and having a card that demonstrates externaly assured competency would be seen as a good safety net by many employers (I would assume). So for a set designer - some form of construction would be a plus, for an LX tech or sound tech, maybe an electrician, or maybe there is a more suitable occupation to be certified with.

Personally, I think it seems slightly over the top for theatre, unless there was a specific theatre category - as the situations in theatre are often quite different to the real world.

Archived