Exploding cupboards

David Duffy

A drama group I'm involved with is thinking of putting on a play that requires "exploding cupboards" in one scene. I'm more into audio and lighting so don't know if this effect would be easily possible. I'm thinking probably not.

I thought about a combination of sound effect, smoke machine blast, strobe flash and the doors flying open, but don't know if this would look any good as there would be no debris, etc. Has someone done this before without getting into pyrotechnics? I assume that pyro (in Australia) of any type requires a suitable licence?

Possible - yes.

Easy - no.

You'll need to find someone who's good at woodwork/metalwork to get this right!

The methodology will probably involve springs and rope/string.

If you want to add debris, dropping the cupboard 'shelf' would work, as this will drop the contents of the shelf.

The re-set will be interesting though.

One idea that springs to my mind would be to use a decent quality electromagnet to hold the door closed (You can buy them from some electronics shops, they are often used to hold fire doors opened and can be integrated with a fire system to release the doors allowing them to close), with a decent spring to make it spring open. To get the debris - I would avoid smoke, and instead think about something like an air cannon to launch a talcum powder (dyed grey) and debris mix.

If you use a 240V electromagnet, you could easily make a mains switching unit using a relay which would simultaneously trigger the air cannon and kill the magnet.

As far as Aussy legislation goes - pyro is under the states jurisdiction, so it changes from state to state, but I have never run into licensing issues with air cannons/confetti cannons in Victoria. There are a few places round that can make the fetti cartridges for you, or show you how to. ShowFX are a great.

Keep it simple. Put some Talc into a kids party balloon, inflate and tie off.

Burst with a pin coupled to the door opening system and hey presto instant smoke and a loud bang.

I've used it previously to make an exploding radio!

If you want a cartoon-style exploding cupboard, build the cupboard with the four sides hinged to the base and with pins that the top slots onto so that the sides won't stay up without the top on (if that makes sense, I can't think of a way to explain it any more clearly!). Rig something so that the top lifts off (when I did it we used pyro but I'm sure you could rig something with springs/rope/etc) and when the top comes off the four sides will fall flat to the ground. It is a bit of a panto gag but can be quite effective.

Can you use "flash string" set the cupboard up and tie it together with flash string when you fire it the string flashes and disappears and the door opens with rubber bands or sim.

OR as the door opens (string and rubber bands) a small flash is fired.

Resist having a pyro open the door cos the flash would really happen before the door actually opens and any pressure or shock wave could turn collapsing cupboard into flying shrapnel.

RA and reliability tests seem appropriate.

this may be going a bit to pyro for you but I suggest flash paper inside with a smoke pellet or co2 pressure type thingy and just have a sprung hinge on the inside with a hinge pin on the front (going through loops of some sort or a pin hinge) with some fishing wire attached

so you

1. pull the fishing line (doors throw themselves open) (if using a smoke pellet be sure to set it off a few seconds before hand to let it get going)

2. set off the trigger for the flash paper (and smoke jet or machine if you choose that)

and hey presto you've got effective haunted house effect (depending on how you light it you can make it look different with different lighting etc)

Archived