National Youth Theatre

Hi, recieved my reply and confirmation last week, so really happy about that, but just wondering if anyone else is going on the two week technical course just before the summer holidays? Also if past NYT'ers or course leaders are on here, could they tell me more about what the course is going to be like.

many thanks

Duncan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Also if past NYT'ers or course leaders are on here, could they tell me more about what the course is going to be like.

many thanks

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Well Done!

I am about to do my 3rd year at NYT.

The Course is useful, you will enjoy it, allthough some may seem like teacning you how to coilc cable etc, or otherstuff you may already know, you will need to be taught this to comply with the nyt's insurance and to teach you some skills you may not already have.

I will be dropping in for some of it hopefully! so might get a chance to see you there.

As a closing point, I would only say this, be prepared to listen and do things that may not seem interesting, but have been very useful for me in the future, such as knots etc.

HTH

Alex

Well I thought that it was a 2 week course for the H&S as Al Cain says, then we got farmed out to a production around the UK somewhere for the duration, possibly being during a different holiday. Thats all I know at the minute, as I have just sent my form back to tnhe N.Y.T (acceptance slips n all the legal mumbojumbo)

Correcto, you do the course, then you, a.k.a the 1st years do some shows in london, while the older and morerevered members, a.k.a. us the 2nd year upwards, do the shows in london and around the uk.

How old can you be before you have to leave? is it 21, or full time education over 18?

Also, I'm in the sound dept. this year, if I tried for lighting next year, and didn't get that, could I still be in the Soun dept. for next year??

Many questions!

From my experience from the last 2 years there is no sound and lx department seperation as such! everyone gets to do a mix! Well done on getting in and might get to meet you in the summer!

Jon

Thanks Jon

Thats good news, because I want to learn more in both!!!

Do you do any lighting for Raymond Gubbay, or do they contract lighting in? Just asking, because I'm shadowing for a big concert of theirs in November, and just wondered if that would be you. (Apparently it's someone who lit the Winter Olympics in Torino(?))

Thanks

Hi seb

Yea, the interviews were in Jan/Feb/March for this year, but for next year's new company go to NYT's homepage (linky) and click on 'How to apply' The new applications should start in about October/November - Tip: book online if you can, then you can choose what date and time your interview is, but if you apply by post, then you get given a date and time, you can only choose the place.

HTH

Chris

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it!

How long is it between the course and your first show? and how much warning do you get that you have a place on said show

Hi Dunc, as you already know I am also a passed member. Tbh I haven't much info on this season but normally you will be made aware of whats happening from the beginning of the season. You should then be spread amongst the shows. You will probably find shows will start about a week after your 2 week training period. I hope it goes well, I may be in to say hello at some point during the season.

Have Fun!

Ben

Archived