GSX Channel upgrade software

paulears

I've just pulled a GSX from a dusty cupboard and fired it up. It's only got 50 channels installed. Bearing in mind it's a bit ancient, I wonder if anybody (dealer or individual) has an upgrade pack for it - it would have to be cheap of course! Not something I can really afford at the original and rather over priced amount Strand wanted when new.

There's no such thing, I'm afraid.

The software is already in there. What you need is a code from Strand which unlocks the extra channels. The code is related in some mystical way to the serial number of the unit. The code goes on for many, many digits and is impossible to guess at.

You need to contact Strand (if that's at all possible) who will charge you hundreds of pounds for the code to unlock what's already there.

You may call it a rip off. Strand call it paying for the R&D.

Sorry. :D

Incase it helps, we tried to purchase a "25 channel upgrage" from Stage which was listed at £470. They gave us the full 125 channels for £300....but yes, it is a complete rip off, and the code is stupidly long.

I've just pulled a GSX from a dusty cupboard and fired it up. It's only got 50 channels installed. Bearing in mind it's a bit ancient, I wonder if anybody (dealer or individual) has an upgrade pack for it - it would have to be cheap of course! Not something I can really afford at the original and rather over priced amount Strand wanted when new.

I search of the archives would have answered your question ;)

Here is an extract from one of my messages dated 28th Nov 2006

I bought a 50 Channel GSX.

Emailed Strand last week on the off chance of getting a code for Kaleidoscope.

Without going into too many details, in case it was a BIG mistake on Strands part, the free password they sent me left me extremly happy :D

My 50 channel GSX is now 125 channel with Communique and Kaleidoscope :(

Cheers

Gerry

Paul - the upgrade pack is basically just a password - as such the man with the passwords for these has long gone from Strand so I would be cautious about anything your being offered......

Paul - the upgrade pack is basically just a password - as such the man with the passwords for these has long gone from Strand so I would be cautious about anything your being offered......

Perhaps he now works for Genlyte :D

See my earlier message.

Cheers

Gerry

Moderation: quote fixed

Try anyway.. they may (probably do..) still have the piece of software which generates the numbers!

Put it this way, they can still do 300/500 series, and the people who coded those desks are no longer with Strand..

At one point Strand were giving free channel upgrades to any non-profit instiution that wanted them (and already owned a GSX) I know that 503 has the full compliment.

I have no idea if that is still the case though!

Strand Canada threw in a password that unlocked everything when we purchased a new dimmer rack from them a few years ago. You may get lucky.

I've just noticed this form a RATS posting from a few years ago:

Newsgroups: rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:42:42 GMT

Local: Sat, Apr 26 2003 5:42 pm

Subject: Re: Strand GSX.

8. Rob Montgomery

You might want to check with your local Strand dealer to see if this offer

is still on, but in January this year Strand Canada had a special on

upgrading the GSX or LBX consoles to full 125 channel output with the full

effects package and communications package for Midi for about $250.00 CND.

I have a number of theatre customers using these consoles in Alberta,

ranging from churches, schools to community theatre roadhouses. While these

consoles don't have all the latest features for running moving lights, they

should work in your application quite well.

Rob Montgomery

Lighting by Monty Ltd.

Edmonton - Calgary

Canada

Archived