Truck Pack

James

I'm needing to rationalise cable trunks in the not too distant future.

I'm planning on replacing my existing random assortment of trunks with something more consistant and useful.

I'm looking at about half a dozen 1200x600x600 trunks.

My concern is a lot of the work I do is in 7.5T trucks and this size doesn't fit nicely. (Internal width ~2.2m)

So I'm thinking about 1000x500x500 trunks which would fit nicely.

Any thoughts - Am I going to create problems for myself for later if I ever start using larger transport?

Cheers

James

The 1200x600x600 trunks (a metric replacement for the old 4x2s?) can hold a lot, but fill them with cable and they get pretty heavy. It's not so bad if you don't have to tip them, but many of the local firms I know have standardised on 1000x500x500.

little anecdote for amusement...

a visiting swedish (I think) opera company once had a whole series of flightcaases made for their stunning new production. They had measured everything to within an inch of its life and had the cases made up. It was going to fit a treat and local crews everywhere would love them.

slight problem in that whoever had done the measurements failed to take into account the knuckles on the corners meaning that the snug four across format never worked. Opening the doors when it arrived was a vision of horror and carnage

come the load out had to repack the truck several times that night as it was the first load out.

the overtime was nice mind you.

herb

The 1200x600x600 trunks (a metric replacement for the old 4x2s?) can hold a lot, but fill them with cable and they get pretty heavy. It's not so bad if you don't have to tip them, but many of the local firms I know have standardised on 1000x500x500.

yeah - 1200x600x600 crammed full of socca does make a nice heavy lift ;)

My concern if I go for 1000x500x500 (dispite having much nicer lifts...) is will I be shooting myself in the foot if I ever get to start packing larger vehicles than 7.5T?

James

Guest lightnix
IIRC "standard" cable box widths (certainly for concert touring) are based on the width of an artic trailer and made to 1/3 or 1/4 of that dimension (can someone please confirm this?).

I thought it was 1/4 pack sized cases. IIRC the Mac500 cases fit 4 wide across a truck body. And they are 600mm overall width inc the ball corners. Which menas that they are half a euro pallet wide, (being 1.2m) which a standard truck can take 2 pallets wide.

However I have been known to be wrong.....

Right I'll try again!

1200 x 510 x (any height you like) will go 4 across your 2.2m truck, or (turn 90 degrees) 2 across a 2.4m truck. Actually I'd reduce these sizes very slightly so that you don't need to kick or shoulder charge your cases to get then in.

I don't suppose anybody makes these though, so you'd have to get custom ones or build your own. I'd like to be wrong about that though.

Archived