Advice On Mixer Purchase

catchthebuzz

I am currently bidding on an Allen & Heath MixWizard2 16:2. It has been in a rack case its entire life and will cost me about $500 USD. I am using it for FOH for a four piece classic rock band. Some say go Mackie VLZ or Soundcraft Spirit FX16. Although I like the features of the other two boards, the thing that I notice about the latter boards, especially the Soundcraft, is that the faders feel very flimsy and cheap. Any advice???

Second, I am also bidding on a pair of Mackie SRM450s and hope to pick up a used pair for $900 USD. ANy advice on these would be helpful as well. Thanks.

I am currently bidding on an Allen & Heath MixWizard2 16:2. It has been in a rack case its entire life and will cost me about $500 USD. I am using it for FOH for a four piece classic rock band. Some say go Mackie VLZ or Soundcraft Spirit FX16. Although I like the features of the other two boards, the thing that I notice about the latter boards, especially the Soundcraft, is that the faders feel very flimsy and cheap. Any advice???

Second, I am also bidding on a pair of Mackie SRM450s and hope to pick up a used pair for $900 USD. ANy advice on these would be helpful as well. Thanks.

OK...I have looked at the FAQs and the overwhelming choice seems to be the A&H. So I guess Im asking "Is this a good price?" for a mixwiz2 16:2 in good condition.

The Mixwiz is a great board in it's price range and, for a used board in good condition, the price you mention is more than fair...a good deal indeed.

Of the other two boards you mention, I quite like the Soundcraft as well...I've never had a problem with the faders they use (and, at one stage, had a Spirit board with the same faders as the FX16 that I used for about 12 years. I finally sold it (in fully working order) a couple of years ago and the guy who bought it is still using it happily.

I'm less happy with the Mackie, having had problems with them in the past.

Bobbsy

The MixWizards offer a far better feature set than the FX16 or VLZ with 6 Aux sends and 4-Band EQ and individual phantom per channel. Granted there is no room left for subgroups but for live music this is still a great desk.

Steve

[pedant]

Wizard 2 doesn't have phantom switchable per channel, just a global switch.

[/pedant]

Wow, that's a surprise, as the PA series does, and I always assumed them to be the lower range to the mix-wiz.

[pedant]

Wizard 2 doesn't have phantom switchable per channel, just a global switch.

[/pedant]

Wow, that's a surprise, as the PA series does, and I always assumed them to be the lower range to the mix-wiz.

Yes, but Pisquee: the Wizard 3 does. It superceded the Wizard version 2.

I have a wizard 16:2 with the global phantom. I love the desk.

Very true.

there were a number of modifications and additions to the 3rd edition desks (of which I have 2) including the individual phantom, a mono bus on fader (switchable LR sum and aux 6 control) and a few others. thats not to say the older ones are not good desks, they have always been a good reliable board well worth the money.

Rob

Thanks for the advice. I lost out on a my bid for the mixwiz2.

Just as an update, I decided to go with the Soundcraft Spirit F16. I really wanted the Mixwiz, but I ended up getting a really good deal on the Soundcraft. Based on everyone's advice and what I read in the FAQs, I decided tp pass on the Mackie 450s and jumped to a pair of QSC HPR 122i. People that I have talked to said that they are a really good speaker and would probably hold their value as well. Does anyone have any input on the QSCs?

Archived