Martin 518 Shutter Problems.

James

Hi.

We've been looking at a numer of Martin 518s, I'm getting a little baffled about the behaviour of one of them.

518s have two shutter blades, each fed by a stepper motor driven by headers on the motherboard labled Dimmer1 and Dimmer2.

Dimmer1 seemed to be working fine and Dimmer2 seemed stuck in the closed position.

I suspected either Dimmer2's stepper motor or Dimmer2's drive circuit. To test the motor I plugged Dimmer2 into Dimmer1's header on the Motherboard. It worked fine. Plugging Dimmer2 back into it's own header also worked fine. However when I plugged Dimmer1 back into the motherboard Dimmer2 stopped responding.

This is baffling me slightly.

I'll try to see if Martin can supply schematics of these lanterns on monday but until then, does anyone have a schematic and could hint at what might be causing this behaviour.

Thankyou

James.

Are "Dimmer1 & Dimmer2" on the same driver chip? if they are not then try replacing the chip that drives the stepper driver chips, if they are on the same driver chip then try replacing that.

If you're still struggling then try getting in touch with Martins technical department, they are normally very helpful and one or two phone calls to them should provide you with the answer to you're conundrum!

HTH

;)

I have had this problem with three of our units. Allthough Martin say that this is not a comon problem? I find that replasing the stepper motor fixes it. The units use the same drive chip for both motors I think but one motor is inverted. one motor always seems to work on its own but never has the power to move both. If you feel the damaged one with no power on it It will be stiff to move.

Hope this helps

Chris

dBS-Solutions.co.uk

I have had this problem with three of our units. Allthough Martin say that this is not a comon problem? I find that replasing the stepper motor fixes it. The units use the same drive chip for both motors I think but one motor is inverted. one motor always seems to work on its own but never has the power to move both. If you feel the damaged one with no power on it It will be stiff to move.

Hope this helps

Chris

dBS-Solutions.co.uk

hi Chris,

I did notice that one of them was slightly stiffer than the other, and that is the one that doesn't move when they are both connected.

Do you have a source for replacement stepper motors?

Cheers

James

I asked Rob At flashlight to order me one as I dont have an account with martin but any martin dealer can help you here. Id call martin and talk to the tech guys andget the spare part no. This at least will speed things up when you call your dealer.

Chris

If your sure it's the stepper (sounds likely to me), the part no. you need for a replacement is 05701601. According to parts list its a regular part so you shouldn't have any problem getting hold of one. If you need any help sourcing please feel free to PM me.

Archived