Lamps, movers and thermal shock

Ike

I'm doing some initial consultation with a 5000 capacity club requiring a huge cryogenic (liquid air) fog machine. The club in question is in a hot climate and is very interested in the temporary cooling effects of the fog, our initial calculations are looking at about a ten to fifteen degree drop in ambient air temperature over a couple of seconds.

Would anyone like to suggest any ideas as to what effect this will have on movers, strobes, lamp life etc or point me in the direction of any relevant research and/or standards. I can't seem to find any information from manufactures on rate of change of ambient temperature, only maximum and minimum values.

Would anyone like to suggest any ideas as to what effect this will have on movers, strobes, lamp life etc or point me in the direction of any relevant research and/or standards. I can't seem to find any information from manufactures on rate of change of ambient temperature, only maximum and minimum values.

Be careful about the latent heat, clubs tend to be humid and I could see condensation as the bulk air mass drops below the local dew point being an issue.

With the rig running, I don't see the delta t being a major issue, but condensation being pulled onto the electronics by the cooling blowers could be.

That sounds like a **LOT** of liquid air, be careful about old liquid air (N2 boils at a lower temperature then O2, so old liquid air tends to have rather more oxygen in it then you would expect), a excessively O2 rich atmosphere in a club would be bad (Think apollo 1 bad).

Sounds like a fun project.

Regards, Dan.

Thanks for your comments.

Be careful about the latent heat, clubs tend to be humid and I could see condensation as the bulk air mass drops below the local dew point being an issue.
A very good point indeed and defiantly one I'll have to speak to there HVAC engineer about.

That sounds like a **LOT** of liquid air, be careful about old liquid air (N2 boils at a lower temperature then O2, so old liquid air tends to have rather more oxygen in it then you would expect), a excessively O2 rich atmosphere in a club would be bad (Think apollo 1 bad).
We are looking at Stirling Cryogenics StirLAIR plants which contain their "innovative Air Lock system, which prevents oxygen enrichment of the stored liquid air, therefore ensuring it does not change composition over time." The plant we are potentially looking at has the ability to produce around 140 liters of usable liquid air per hour so there isn't going to be much chance for it to get old anyway. ;)

Thanks again for your time.

Can the local control include keeping OUT of the dew point range as most equipment seems to say in the back of the small print humidity to nn% NON condensing.

---Most including amps, cd players mixers, mcb's computers. anything with high volts -TV, tube monitors, discharge igniter/strikers.

Archived