Risk Assessments

lawsonpd

Previously, I have provided risk assessments to my local council for the use of Le Maitre pyroflash and a Jem smoke machine. These were accepted by the then environmental health officer. There has now been a staff change and the new incumbant requires me to ressess the risk (in particular noise for the pyro flash) and asks whether I am fire checking costumes.

Pyros (flashes)

1) Noise? - They are flashes not maroons!

2) I understand the flash pods are 'cold fall out'

3) Actors will be clear of the defined area and the system will be operated in line with ABTT code of practice - Is there a need for fireprofing costumes?

Costumes

I understood that fireproofing costumes could be irritating to actors skin.

Please could someone provide definative guidance on what is actually required and if possible point me to tried and tested risk assesments for the above equipment.

Any assistance gratefuly received as we are close to their cut off date.

Peter

This is always a difficult subject as basically it is up to you to assess the risk and detail what action needs to be taken for that risk, but if you miss something it is down to you!

The idea is that you identify all the potential risks, in the case of pyros this would include noise, fire, smoke. chemicals etc and then you work out who might be harmed, evaluate the risks and decide whether you have adequate precautions in place and the record all this.

There is quite a good quide on the HSE web site at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg163.pdf

Peter,

Andy has already made some very good points. I'd add a couple of things...

I understand the flash pods are 'cold fall out'

Where did this information come from? More importantly, have you tested them yourself?

Is there a need for fireprofing costumes?

Only if your risk assessment shows it to be necessary. For instance, if a performer was never going to be on stage at the same time as the pyro was fired, your risk assessment would show that the control measure of fire proofing their costume would not be necessary.

Noise? - They are flashes not maroons!

Even TFs make a bit of a noise when fired.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

I've downloaded the PDF from HSE and it provides a good general view of risk assessment . But if anyone can PM me a template for Theatrical Flash and Smoke it'd save me a helluva lot of one fingered 'tryping' :stagecrew:

Flashes: I stand corrected, the Le Maitre web site now says "Hot Fallout : None"

I should have checked for the latest issue of their Safety Data Sheet!

and yes I have tested the flashes myself .

Thanks again

Peter

Thanks Brian,

Tried to download the ABTT PDFs last nght but the home pc popped up a 'blocked message'. So I assumed (wrongly) that they were members only. Worked fine from the work machine though. Looks really useful.

Thanks again

Peter

Archived