RS 232 Cable

WolvesAndi

I need a rs232 cable about 30mtrs long, I have looked on RS and they have them but they are 3mtrs long, they sell the end connecters and the cable but with so many pins and my inability at good soldering I have given up on that idea.

Any ideas will be much appreciated

Try Inmac - They're one of these irritating companys that send out a 100-page updated catalogue every 2-3 days, but when I've needed absurdly long monitor and PS/2 cables, they'ce come up trumps. Worth a try. (And no - they don't send depilatory cream :stagecrew: )

You could have a look at this page.  Probably here somewhere...

Thanks for the plug Andrew. EDIT: Hmm, bad pun, sorry!

Black Box are a good (if very expensive) source of data cabling: A custom length DB25 PC/AT cable is £17 plus £2 per metre (plus VAT). They'll make pretty much anything for you if you're prepared for the pricing.

A cheaper option (unless you really need all the pins) might be modular adaptors:

http://catalog.blackbox.com/bboxuk/images/details/bfa730gpcsw.jpg

to convert DB-25 to RJ45 and back - you can then get cheap CAT-5 cable from pretty much anywhere.

Tom

Just a thought.. Depending upon your application RS232 doesn't normally use all 25 connections. In fact I believe that basic data transfer works quite happily with 3 connections (7, swap 2,3 ), I believe..

(Waits for corrections)

I've done a couple of bits with projectors, and they have used RS 232 to control a shutter, and there was such a long run (100 metres!!) there was an RS 232 to XLR converter at either end and the XLR run in the middle. So depending on what the application is, this might work for you.

Have you seen these?

Rs 232 adapter

It converts rs 232, rs 422 or rs 485 into std network talk, so that when plugged into you network it appears as a port, the included software tells your pc that the port is soldered to your mother board so that the software that uses the serial port dont have a fit,

I am in the process of getting one to use with a sound web, but will plug the nport into a wireless router, and use the wireless on my laptop so that I can configure the web from the middle of the venue, with no wires, all too easy really. :** laughs out loud **:

This is the best price that I have seen one for, did see one on the black box web page but it was over £500 as I remember!

Hope that this is of some help,

marc

Archived