Entering a DMX value rather than a percentage

agermich

Hi there

I would like to find out whether it is possible to set a channel on an etc express so that rather than entering the level as a percentage it is entered as a DMX value (0-255). This is for control of a Jem Hazer where control settings in the manual are given as DMX values. I know how to calculate the values into a percentage but it would be nicer to be able to type in the DMX value directly as it would save confusion for operators and casual techs.

Cheers

Mike

I don't think the Express is that smart. You'd probably have to re-write the code to do it.

It has been my experience that casual tech and 0-255 values are usually mutually exclusive. If the Jem manual is anything like Martin manuals (their sub company), it should list the percentage range for you already (so no need to make a chart); and the tolerances between functions aren't that tight anyway (even with moving lights).

I don't understand how this would save confusion; seems like giving the operator a second option on how to enter a value would just have more room for error ("did you say 98 percent or value 98?").

-w

edit: another thought...

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the manual doesn't have listings for percentages so I've knocked up a quick conversion table, now I just have to find somewhere usefull to stick it. The confusion that I was hoping to save was that below 7.5% and above 90% on either channel means that it's off but nobody seems to realise that, they just assume that the hazers broken and start getting upset :huh:. I'll just add a note at the bottom of the table to remind them

IN SOME KIND OF HUGE FONT!!

Archived